Kits not coming

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne-Lise

My female has been stuck at 1050g for 8 days and then gained weight and is now at 1070g since January 1st. I can hardly feel the kits as she's got a temper theses days...... She didn't have a problem with her previous litter, but I'm getting worried for this one. I was planning on taking her to a vet early next week.

From my previous experiences, they stabilize (in terms of weight) one week or so before they deliver. Should I get worried? She's all right, jumping and eating as usual.

I wouldn't take her to the vet if she's not showing signs of distress. There is no such thing as "normal" with nature. I gained 75 lbs with my first pregnancy... not "normal" but I had no complications and had an awesome 9 lb 5 oz girl... Let her be, she'll go when she's ready.

It's the 'sticking at the same weight for too long' that is worrying me. She was put with the male 130 days ago approximately. Never check the 'actual' date, I go with the weight that's giving me a better idea when the kits are due USUALLy lolll When I really start worrying she puts on weight, so there she goes at 1084g today :-S

Well, not knowing the history of this female...IE her age, base weight as an adult, etc...she may not even be pregnant!

My point is (as you're probably sure she IS pregnant) is that the weight isn't something to base a trip to the vet over. ESPECIALLY when the female is expecting. I wouldn't put a female that close to delivery through the stress of a vet visit, or the exposure of one. Period. She's eating normal, drinking normal...peeing and pooping normal and not in distress why take her to the vet...cause stress and risk illness?!?

Chins generally plateau shortly before delivery but not always. I had a chin plateau a good 3 weeks before delivery...it happens...period. If she were in labor w/o delivering...acting out of sots or ill THEN I'd take her to a vet. Otherwise, watch and wait.

I had a female stick around 1000g when she was close to delivering...for three weeks. She delivered four healthy babies just fine after scaring the poo out of me by bleeding the night before she actually went into labor.

Back