Keeping Trust

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FayeEsquire

I apologize if there is a thread similar to this already. I browsed around a bit and found a lot of helpful guides/tips regarding bonding with your chinchilla, but my question is a little bit more specific.

Garrus and I have already formed a fairly decent bond in the short time I've had him. He's naturally inquisitive so he was eager to get out of his cage and explore the room plus myself. I've been patient and slow with him; read him stories by his cage at night, and a few other things. He's still very unsure of being petted (though if he doesn't know you're rubbing his tummy his likes it), and of course being held still scares him. He has, however, gotten to the point where he climbs on my lap or shoulder when I lay down to play with him.

What has me concerned is that I might loose the trust that he and I have been developing. The poor little guy has an eye infection (which already makes me feel like I failed him). So now he has to be held for me to put the medication in his eye - which stresses him out even more. I talk sweetly to him but he's a chinchilla. So he doesn't understand when I say, "It's ok. This is to make you feel better; I'm sorry you feel sick". All he knows is that this once-nice-person is making him uncomfortable and putting stuff in his eye.

I do offer him a small treat when we're done which he still takes from my hand but now he doesn't eat by me or on my lap like he normally does. Plus I still need to monitor his treat in-take, so I can't try to sweeten him up after every dosage.

He's only five months old, so this still seems like a crucial part of his development especially towards how he sees me. What can I do to help keep from breaking his trust over the next week while I care for his infection? Once everything is over with, will he naturally return to his old self and we can start strengthen our bond again?

spend time with him and keep as usual. He will understand, that you are trying to help him. I had the same problem when my Niko didn't want to take his meds+they tasted really bad and I had to wrap him even in a towel... he really hated it. After that we got quite bonded... I think he knows I want the best for him and so does your chinchilla... You have to be patient

They usually get over it. You might get the stink-eye for a while but once things go back to normal, he will come back around.

They are pretty forgiving so long as you keep having positive interaction with them. Hachiro was on 3 meds. 1 topical and 2 oral. She started biting us on day 3 of 10. Finished the meds and a week later she was the same as ever.

Thank you, guys, for the info.

Luckily, he doesn't have an infection. He just scratched his eye and the vet said the medicine was working just fine. In a few short days, he won't need it anymore. The vet also gave me some helpful advice regarding keeping him calm while I put the droplet in his eye.

He still seems unsure to come up to us, especially if we're at this cage but he doesn't seem too upset. He still climbs on my lap and has been hopping all over the room like he use to.

Back