keeping the bedding in the cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadySalvator

Has anyone discovered a way to keep most of the poo/bedding inside the cage? We have a quality cage co set up and it is insane the amount of poo and bedding that ends up on the floor. I have tried plexi glass on the bottom half, but that just gets messy and needs wiped down as well as it doesnt keep it all in anyways.

I know someone has to have a genius idea to help this issue. =]:hmm:

Thanks!

Ummmm - getting rid of the chin and cage???? :)

Unfortunately, what you describe is part and parcel (in other words, completely normal) when owing a chinchilla.

You can buy splash guards for the quality cage and it helps but it does not eliminate the mess.

ChinChic makes Poopsaguards that do a pretty great job of keeping the poop in. Those paired with high edged bass pans and wood shelves that have wooden 'poop guards' attached to the back of them help minimize the mess, but alas, it's what we've all signed up for ;)

I have scatter guards on the bottom of my cages to keep the litter in and it does pretty well. As for poop... Unless you can find a poop-less chin, I'm not certain you'll ever be able to contain it. I will say that one of my cages has 1" gaps right now and and it is messier than the cage covered in 1/2" chicken wire during a pregnancy watch.

And some chins are just pigs, two of the front floors of my cages stay clean all week of hay and poo, my psycho chin has a mess every day in front of it.

On the CN and FN I've used wood ones and they work great to catch mess and for something for them to chew on. I have a female who would go through on in about a month, lol. Apparently better than toys, but at least she's chewing!

I switched just half of my cage to fleece and it has cut down on the amount of bedding by a lot. I also got shelves with poo guards and wooden scatter guards for the lower level of my ferret nation from whimsy. I'm going to switch the top to fleece too but need to get some heavy items to hold down the fleece. As for the amount of poop it's less with the guards and shelves but it still makes a mess.

Back