Keeping Cool

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lovette's Kara

This weekend, it is supposed to go to 30 degrees Celsius (or 80 degrees Fahrenheit) and will probably be that hot for awhile...

Normally, when I am here, I use marble slates in/outside or under the cage, bottles of frozen water around the cages, tins with ice packs in them, and fans with bottles of frozen water in front of them. I switch them out once they have melted or gotten warm, but I cannot do that this weekend since I work and won't be home!

I was hoping someone would have a good suggestion on what I should do to keep my chinnies cool. I wish I had a/c but the windows are in such a way I have no idea how they would work since they are on a slant and open at a weird angle. It was my desire to get a portable A/C, but I was told that even they cannot be put in my window area... :temp:

You can get portable AC's that don't go in a window can't you?

I built an icebox type thing **Chinchillerzilla thread* you can finds pics if you search for it on this forum somewhere.

If you're not going to be home it's hard to tell you what to do since most things besides an AC have to be rotated.

There really is no other option than a/c when it comes to chins. You're risking heat stroke with not having the proper a/c for your chin.

They make adapters for odd windows for portable a/c's.

i have a portable ac unit in one of my offices at work. it works really good for a small area. but i did have to cut a hole in the wall for the exhaust hose. maybe you could rig something for the window.

ac would be best but did you ever think of just getting a sitter since you will be so busy also if you bathroom is moslty tile it will be cooler than the rest of the house but not much

This weekend, it is supposed to go to 30 degrees Celsius (or 80 degrees Fahrenheit) and will probably be that hot for awhile...

Normally, when I am here, I use marble slates in/outside or under the cage, bottles of frozen water around the cages, tins with ice packs in them, and fans with bottles of frozen water in front of them. I switch them out once they have melted or gotten warm, but I cannot do that this weekend since I work and won't be home!

I was hoping someone would have a good suggestion on what I should do to keep my chinnies cool. I wish I had a/c but the windows are in such a way I have no idea how they would work since they are on a slant and open at a weird angle. It was my desire to get a portable A/C, but I was told that even they cannot be put in my window area... :temp:

We have two portable A/C's. One came with a window kit. It has two hoses that go out the window,and the rest of window is then closed in.We cut out a board to fit. The other one had only one hose so we cut one round hole in the wall and put the hose through there. They work best if you keep the vent hose as straight and as short as possible. They are a godsend in rooms with no windows.Our windowless room is now never over 60.

Last edited:
You could run the hose that is supposed to go in a window into an attic or another room if you wanted to. You just need a place to vent off the thermal energy...

That would depend on the portable A/C. Some have to vent outside as the warm air from the room needs to be sucked out.You could kill the machine in some cases,if its not vented outside.

I know what type of windows the OP is talking about - and you would be hard pressed to put an a/c into those. The style that have the little crank and tip out vertically.

They haven't been back so likely are already on vacation.

How does the water bottle thing work? Thats a cool idea? It makes the air cooler by hitting a cold object or something like that?

I know what type of windows the OP is talking about - and you would be hard pressed to put an a/c into those. The style that have the little crank and tip out vertically.

They haven't been back so likely are already on vacation.

Yeah those windows are tricky. My mum inlaw has one and we took the entire glass out and put plexi-glass in with a hole drilled for the portable A/C hose to go through. You can just use wood too,but if its a window that is right out where everyone can see,plexi-glass works. We just pop it out in the winter and put the glass one back in. My brother one-upped us and got a glass cutter to cut a hole in his window for the hose! I asked what he was going to do in the winter? He is so dumb sometimes! Lol!

Back