Keep eb/tan or both?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTChin

defender of all animals
Can you tell quality at 4 weeks?

One litter of two I had is gorgeous IMO. The first is light tan and he seems to have the blue hue that is desired and lots of coat. Do light tans ever do well in a show?

They second is a dark ebony. So far he has lots of coat, size and nice color.

They are both males unfortunately

First is light tan

Attachments

• DSCN0120.jpg
    DSCN0120.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN0121.jpg
    DSCN0121.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 39
The ebony

Attachments

• DSCN0131.jpg
    DSCN0131.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN0126.jpg
    DSCN0126.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 38
It's hard to say at this age Brenda. The tan kit looks to have lazy longer type fur. I'd say hang onto both until they are 6 mos of age then look at them again. Then you'll have a better idea on what they will look like.

Jessica

It's hard to say at this age Brenda. The tan kit looks to have lazy longer type fur. I'd say hang onto both until they are 6 mos of age then look at them again. Then you'll have a better idea on what they will look like.

Jessica

Maybe too silky? Of course he looks way better in person but looking at the pic, I see what you mean. My husband won't be happy but I won't be happy if I sell them and they turn out awesome!

So hang unto them and see what they look like when they older. He will probably tighten up some when his adult fur comes in but my guess is he will still have some degree of lazy fur..especially in the hips. They change alot. Some kits here that looked awesome the day they were born turned into complete flops while others that I didn't blink an eye at, stuck them in a cage and just left them until 6 months old then viola....where the world did you come from?!

You can't tell anything at four weeks or even at 4 months. I think I've mentioned before how Ronda liked to make a note of my ugly comments when I walked through her herd then rub it in when they did really well at show. I've also marked some at 4-6 months that I loved and by a year they were awful.

In my showing experience the light tans have not done as well at show as a darker tan, or a nice dark ebony. He'll do great if he stays that dark.

Very cute! I'd definitely take that ebony off your hands.

In my showing experience the light tans have not done as well at show as a darker tan, or a nice dark ebony. He'll do great if he stays that dark.

Very cute! I'd definitely take that ebony off your hands.

Thanks! The eb was my original first choice :)

I've never bought a pet chin younger than 6 months so even if you hold both I don't think it will make it harder to sell em later on if they don't grow out as you wished. I like them both x3 the beige is so creamy, and im a sucker for any type of black animal.

Back