Kacking

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sand_Dance

What exactly does that 'kacking' noise mean? Is it a warning before you are about to get bit? This baby chin that i just got is starting to kack at me now. He was so friendly when we first got him and would literally crawl on my hands as soon as i open the cage door. Then suddenly he changed. Now he wont come near me at all when i open the cage and if i go to try and pet him or pick him up he will kack and run away....the breeder said he was extremely sweet and her and her kids handled him alot. And he was really sweet when we first got him...hes been here a couple weeks and is now very different. Any ideas why?

It could mean he's annoyed and irritated or scared. How long ago did you get him? He's probably still adjusting to his new surroundings, it's a lot to take in for a young animal. New sounds, smells, people, ect. Give him time and let him adjust, hopefully he'll calm down soon so you can start bonding with him.

Thanks for the quick reply Jess. I got him about 2 weeks ago and for the first week or so he was soooo friendly. I mean if i opened the cage and put my two hands together he would walk right up to me and step into my hands. I thought wow i must have lucked out with this guy, hes so tame! Then it all stopped i dont know why. One evening i went to get him and he ran away, kacking. I just sit by the cage and feed him pellets and he will come up and take the pellet but run away with it. Im gonna be patient and continue to work with him at a slow pace. I was just wondering why the sudden change in his personality..

Has anything in his environment changed from what it was when you first got him? New smells, sounds, etc? Are you using any new hand lotions or hand soaps? If something changed or you smell different that might be why he is acting so oddly. It is also possible as others said that he is still just adjusting. I would evaluate his environment and then take your time with him. If you find that something is changed perhaps you need to remove it to calm him. I know my girls act oddly when new noises are in the house (like when the whole family is over) or when I open my windows. Car sounds and bird sounds from outside make them extra jumpy. Not had them randomly start kacking at me but they definitely respond to changes.

Or the chin can have a screw loose in the head, I have one that kacks all by himself at imaginary things.

Back