Just put my chinchilla is a different cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinchandChilla

Chinch and Chilla
As you may know, I had gotten a Chinchilla surrendered to me. I put them in the same cage which turned out to be the wrong thing to do, as I learned here. So, I moved her to a cage next to the other chinchilla. All seems to be going well, except for one things.

They are both literally, reaching through the bars to the other chinchilla. when the chinchillas are close together in each other cages, they reach to the other one, or stick their nose out of the cage and just rub noses? Does this mean that they've made a friendship?

No it does not. Chins are like dogs they smell the other chinchilla near it and want to investigate. If you plan on introducing your chinchillas to one and other you will need to follow the proper introductions method and keep a close eye on them during the process. Never assume your two or more chinchillas will like each other and get along right off the bat.

I have two twins who now hate each other and yet during play time (only one out at a time) they will be at the bars "investigating " each other. I never actually took note of it until Bugs lost the tip of his finger - stupid boy must have stuck it through the bars and it got bit off. Now I have to shoe him away (I could build a cardboard surrond for the cage, but for now I just stay in there and run interfearance)

So plase make sure they can NOT touch each other through cages. Also she should have been in another room for at elast a month. Since they have been touching and next to each other - no point in moving her that far away now, but if you bring another home...

Thanks for taking in a surrender - so many animals need good homes these days :)

I separated mine recently. They did the whole nose sticking out of the cage, barking, whining, throwing food at the other cage (only Tinker does that) along with sleeping on the closest side to each other. That was within 1 week of the separation. Now they just do their own thing, sometimes you hear some chirping but not as much. Someone told me to make sure there's a good 6 inch gap between the cages so they can't get to each other and not to mention my boys trying to mate between bars.

Back