Is this wood okay for chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrea

My chins go through wood at a extremely rapid rate, and I have been seeking out cheaper alternatives to keep up with demand. Apple wood is often used in smoking meats, and I found one seller on eBay who does coin chunks that are kiln-dried and organic. 5.5lbs of coins goes for $10! I just wanted to ask here if you all think it's chinchilla safe. I don't see why not, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks!

(Here's a link to the auction): http://cgi.ebay.com/APPLE-WOOD-SMOK...387?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6632a1ab

Since the listing says

ORGANIC GROWN - ALL NATURAL
HAS NOT BEEN TREATED WITH PESTICIDES, CHEMICALS,
DYES OR ARTIFICIAL ADDITIVES

TREES ARE NOT DISEASED OR BUG RIDDEN

I don't see why not. Sounds like all natural apple wood to me.

That's what I was thinking. It looks identical to the $12 a pound wood coins I've been buying. Kiln-dried and organic seems safe to me.

*EDIT* Someone already bought it but they have more auctions with coins so my question still stands.

Last edited:
Depends on how finicky you are about your wood. Kiln dried does not mean washed and there is probably lichen on it. Actually I can see there is in that picture, but it isn't hard to wash it off if you have the time. Your chins would eat it regardless.

So how do I wash it off if I were to get these coins? I'm assuming I'd have to wash it prior to giving it to them?

I was going to say what Spoof did. You won't know if it has lichen on it, some are actually toxic. Since it's for your own chins, you could scrub any off, but I know some people refuse to give wood if it's even had any growing on it just to be safe. So it's up to what you're comfortable with.

So if I order it, should I treat it as if it is unprepared wood? Scrub it, boil it and bake it? Should it then be safe to give?

Just fyi I have ordered these before and yes I always reprocess them.The first time I guess I was lucky and got nice coin size(silver dollar)or smaller.The next order the "coins" were the diameter of tree trunk and totally a waste.:)

Well the seller states specifically that they are 2''-3'' round which is a good size for coins...maybe a little big but usable. I will just reprocess them then...I saw the sticky written by Alli and I already ordered a heavy duty scrubbing brush. I'll let everyone know how they turn out!

Glad you posted this. I have never considered buying wood like this before!! Let us know how it is.

It will be labor intensive but as long as my chins like it and it's safe, it'll save a ton of money. I will update once I have the wood and prep it :)

another inexpensive option is to just buy a sheet of kiln dried pine that you would normally get for making shelves. you can cut them into little blocks or squares. some of my chins shred them like sawdust and others dont but its worth a try next time you have to get wood to make shelves.

I spent 9 hours preparing it last night/today but I'm almost done! The first batch I did was totally dry this morning (after 3 hours of baking on 200 degrees and drying overnight) so I gave each girl a coin, and they all loved them. It is a lot of work to prepare the wood but I will be doing this again in the future as it is a much cheaper option. Just thought I'd update everyone :)

Back