is this something that would be safe for chinchillas?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't risk it. Several years ago I had a chin quickly jump from my lap to the top of the sink and then he jumped off the sink and landed on the tile floor pretty hard. I was lucky he didn't seriously hurt himself. This all happened in the matter of 3 seconds. A fall from that height (at the tallest level) or even half that height could be dangerous for a chin.

I agree...not for chins. I foresee broken bones with something like this. I'm glad you asked first :)

Chins would not use that, they don't want to be exposed and they would want to have a enclosure to get into once they hit the deck.

I worry about my chins falling from the top of their cage to the bottom, about 30 inches, and possibly hurting them selves. There's no way I would ever let them climb that high. If you look at pictures of cages most people have hammocks or shelves strategically placed to prevent falls farther than about a foot. Maybe it's just my boys, but if they are spooked they usually jump turn and try to run, and not in any sort of graceful way. If they are at the top of something like that, get spooked and try to run it would not be pretty.

Back