is this normal?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xBrianx619

Android Enthusiast
Gizmos cage is in my living room and sometimes when he's not jumping around/doing chinchilla things, he smooshes his body up agains the wire and lays on his side? It loooks kinda funny.

Chinchillas will sleep in some strangely odd positions. I have one that smashes her head into the corner and then flops down on her side and falls asleep. Sometimes I watch her chest to make sure she is still breathing! ;)

I also have a chin with kits that will lay flat on her back with her feet and arms straight in the air. The kits nurse on her like that... I keep trying to snap a picture but she always wakes up. It's extremely funny looking.

Yea my chins do that too. Sometimes I see them lying just like a cat or completely the other way on the their chin wheel. Its kinda odd but they seem so comfy. LOL But like Shahna I have made sure there still breathing. lol they usually are pretty knocked out they DONT even care I look. Its like a cute furby! =D

my father chin likes to sleep on his side. And some of my girls will lay on their side during the evening. Of course sometimes the tray aint good enough and you find em like this lol
Sophie.jpg

Of course that dont seem so strange when you wlak out and see things like this :p

Amana_02.jpg

Sophia.jpg

lol But chins will sleep in all kinds of positions. Or even be awake in all kinds of positions

Haha those pictures are too funny! Lol I want one of those wheels! Where'd you get it?

Theirs a few places you can get them. They are expencive, however they will last forever. I have two. Iv had the first one for years, and theirs no sign of wear on it at all. And the better part is, SHOULD something happen where it cant spin anymore, you can get a $2 barring and replace it, and it should work liek new all over again.... As long as you dont take a blow torch or tornado to it, your generaly good lol.

Ralston's chinchilla ranch site has them now. Tho only the standard size is available.

Theris three sizes. Small Standard and large. My boys have a Large wheel, and my girls have a standard. (one in the pic is standard)

Melbrooks Also has them. Thats where i got my first large wheel from. This link will take you to an information page about the wheels.

Personaly i like the large one a little better. While the standard one is perfectly fine, the extra space on the large i think is helpfull for a chinchillas full body extension while running.

And if you do get one, understand that some chinchills get it right away, others might take a few days before they start useing it.

Yeah I really want one but I'm kind of broke, haha...maybe one of these days..how big is the large wheels???

I also have a chin with kits that will lay flat on her back with her feet and arms straight in the air. The kits nurse on her like that... I keep trying to snap a picture but she always wakes up. It's extremely funny looking.

I have a female that does the same thing while nursing. I can even scritch behind her ears, but the second she sees a camera coming she stops, and gets up.

I have a baby white who I keep finding in weird positions including with his legs crossed!!! Here's some of the classics I managed to take of him sleeping -

Up against the wire -

P7060053.jpg

To get in this position he slides across the shelf and moves himself along like a caterpiller until he gets to the right spot.

The Garfield -

272198_10150247930107207_569982206_7301806_6882193_o.jpg

Obviously doesn't like Mondays....lol

My favourite -

P7140063.jpg

He actually looks really comfy in that one...lol

some of those sleeping patterns look so uncomfortable xD so cute though mine just puffs up into a ball and sleeps on her paws :p

Godofgods: those pictures are priceless. I wish my chins will sleep on their sides or have a funny sleeping position. But nope, they like the cuddle each other in their huts or in the tube.

Godofgods: those pictures are priceless. I wish my chins will sleep on their sides or have a funny sleeping position. But nope, they like the cuddle each other in their huts or in the tube.

Mine usaly do that to. Expecaly my guys. My girls might, but they usaly stay in their hut more often so i cant see.

Tho i have seen my one daughter Ameana laying almost on her back at a very slight angle, useing the edge of the hut to keep her from rolling over. And her mom right next to her using her as a pillow lol. I was amazed when i saw that lol. Wish i had a better camera to get a pic of it.

Reminds me of a pic a while back when she had her first son Houdini.

Sophie_Houdini_02.jpg

(Ladder removed a long time ago) I no iv posted it before, but some pics just tell such a great story.

Back