Is this a treat suitable for chinchillas?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purikura

Hi everyone. So my chinchilla is almost five months old now and whilst out shopping the other day I stumbled upon a product called 'Chinchilla's Herbal Forage'
I am wondering if firstly, it is safe for chinchillas (I will post ingredients below), if it would count as a treat and whether only small amounts should be given, and also if it would be suitable to give to my young baby.
The ingredients are:
Plantain (20%), Echinacea (15%), Nettle (15%), Mint (15%), Parsley (12%), Willow Bark (7%), Birch Leaf (7%), Rose Hips (3%), Marigold (2%), Rose Petals (2%), Fennel (2%)
The analytical constituents are:
Protein 12%, Crude Fibre 21%, Oils and Fats 1.6%, Crude Ash 6%, Moisture 12%

Thanks!

The combination of herbs looks strange to me…

I would recommend buying herbs from Galens Garden (UK website) instead. On this website, you can purchase dandelion leaf, dandelion root, nettle leaf and stalks, alfalfa, red raspberry leaf, rose hips, edible flowers, wood, etc.

All those herbs should be safe as a treat for a chinchilla that is not raising babies. I only place that restriction because some of the items like mint is used to reduce lactation when weaning and other things like willow and echinacea may be too strong medicinally for babies. Willow is where we got aspirin and some who raise their small animals on all natural forage still feed lots of willow for a mild short term painkiller. It should be no different though than giving willow twigs or coins like many do so it's not that it's unsafe. I just wouldn't feed it to a lactating female and young babies.

Most do not feed treats to chins until 6 months or more.

Back