Is there a way to prepare bamboo?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caroline

I have access to a large amount of bamboo and I have read that it is safe for chins but then I have also read that may splinter. I have read that there are people that sell it and am wondering if there is a certain way to prepare it so that it is chinsafe?

If you get the extra thin pieces (they are about the thickness of fine hay stalks.), they won't splinter. I sell bamboo by the lb and will tell you that it takes thousands of thin pieces of bamboo to make a lb. It is extra light weight and takes a lot to make a lb.

If you get the thicker larger pieces of bamboo they do splinter. The thinner ones are much like chins chewing on hay though. It's very thin and soft, much like the thinness of bamboo crunchers or bamboo balls.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm glad I found it. This is good to know. I give Bamboo to my gerbils and they go crazy for it. I actually trim it the green shoots and thin baby stalks, rinse with water. I also bake in the oven at 200 degrees (F) for an hour just to make sure there's no germs or bugs still on it (be careful about the bugs, I brought in a big spider in one time with a cluster of green bamboo). Good to know I can give it to chins too.

Back