Is there a dental problem present

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paws4Chins

Chin Spirit
Checked the teeth on my new boys tonight and I am concerned about their bite. I compared them to my other ones and I think there is a difference. I would like opinion and guidance. I hope the pictures are good enough for you to see what is going on. To me it looks like both top and bottom are a little too long and the top teeth appear to have a slight overbite. The top teeth on one of the chins seems to be angled different. These guys were not given things to chew on or hay before the came to me. I hope that is why they look overgrown and once corrected it wont be a continuing problem. What is the best way to get the teeth corrected if their is a problem. Is this something only a vet can handle and does it have to be done under anesthesia. I have experience with trimming and filing rabbit teeth but I realize chins are different.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 44
Are these pictures not good enough to tell what is goine on. Any tips on getting better ones? Should I just take them to a chin vet to get a dental exam? Does anyone have recommendations for a good chin vet that is good with teeth near Ann Arbor, MI?

It's kind of hard to tell but they look o.k. to me. What about them is concerning you?

Another way to tell if something is going on is to feel their jaw lines for extra lumps and bumps. If you feel all your chins jaws, you will have a better idea of what is not normal.

Ya, I did not think the picture would show what I was concerned about. It looks like the teeth are longer than they should be and the upper teeth are more buck tooth like. Also, one of the upper incisors is angled while the other is not (you can not see this in picture). I don't feel any bumps on the jaw.

If you have a "macro" setting on your camera (usually used for close ups of flowers) or some sort of "close up" setting, that may work for better pictures.

Hard to tell again, but I don't see anything in the pictures or what you described as problematic except maybe the angled tooth (is that her right upper one? I think I can see it in the pictures), but if you don't notice any symptoms of dental problems then it might be fine.

Rodents should have a slight overbite. Their upper incisors and trimmed down by their lower incisors like in this x-ray I found with a quick google search:
normr.jpg

And this is a picture from the same web page of a front view:
teeth.jpg

Both from this website

The angling thing I have no idea about and I don't know of any vets in your area or if filing them down yourself is a good idea.

I knew that an overbite is normal but when I compared my new chins to my other 2 it looked like there was a bit more of one and it seemed to be angled out a bit more. I just wondered if this could be due to the fact they were not given much to chew on before I rescued them. Maybe it is just a variation of normal. As for the angling it is the right upper incisor.

Back