Is his poop normal?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarilynTafolla

My chin Mocha has been pooping a bit different lately. His poops are smaller, some look like they've been cut in half. They still have the weird oval shape to them.. Is this normal? I'm just worried it's been going on for about 1-2 days.. There hasn't been any change in his diet I always have his hay bag filled with and pellets. I give 2 treat a day.. Please HELP.

Same issue

Oh my goodness!! Me and you both are going through the same issue right now, I just posted about my chins having smaller poos and some are broken off! Hope we find out something so I can stop worrying. Good luck!

Step one: Stop the treats. If you must give treats, it should only be one or two a week, not one or two a day. Too many treats can cause severe digestive issues.

Step two: Make sure the water bottle is working. If the chinchilla is not getting enough water, it can constipate them.

Step three: If the poops do not get better in the next couple of days, take the chinchilla to the vet.

I haven't gave him a treat since yesterday so maybe all the treats is the problem. I don't really know what pellets he eat since I got my chin as a birthday present and his pellets were in a giant clear bag. No name at all.. I recently placed an order on Mazuri pellets I'm planning on changing them..

It's good you've stopped the treats. What were they, if I may ask? Wanted to add 1 more item to cuddlebug's suggestions... offer a lot of fresh hay!

His poops are looking normal, still small but theirs more big poops then small. I would give him goji berries, but recently he through his tantrum during playtime and started chewing on the plastic bag to get to the berries :facepalm:

Chins are not supposed to have fruit due to the high sugar content and the fact that they can't digest sugars. for a treat try rose hips, dried rose buds or hibiscus petals once or twice a week. My chin eagerly gobbles up any of these treats!

Back