Is he a hetero or homo beige?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e.murphy518

I love my chinchildren!
And what is the difference between hetero and homo beige? Is one just darker? You can't really tell, but he does have red eyes. You can only tell when its dark and there is a light shining on him. Otherwise they look brown. Also, is it normal for a beige to have basically no freckles on his ears? he has a couple but barely any.

Thanks in advance :)

IMG_3280_zps04fdb186.jpg

IMG_3274_zps060c2911.jpg

IMG_3262_zpsc7c792ad.jpg

And here is one of Bambam and Butters (newly introduced) sharing a stick

IMG_3284_zpsda7a62ec.jpg

The difference is whether it has one beige gene, which would make it hetero, or 2 beige genes (one from each parent) making it homo. So basically you need to look at the parents genetics to tell which it is for sure. I do think that the homo ones are a more yellowish tan color and the hetero are more grayish tan.
Freckles come with age and exposure to light, just like on a light skinned human, and it seems some are more prone to them then others.

Thanks, but I have actually seen that link and I have looked at a few others and I always go back and forth because both can have the red eyes and pink ears and white belly. His fur isn't as dark as some of the hetero examples I have seen but not as light as some of the homo-beige examples I have seen. Thats why I was curious to see what everyone on here thought!

I actually don't know. I got him from his previous owner who's husband had major medical bills so they had to sell off their chins. She didn't have any history on him unfortunately :( I guess I will never know, not that it matters much I was just curious! he is in perfect health and he has great looking fur and he's very happy, active and friendly and thats what really matters! I just thought there might be some defining characteristics that you breeders recognize that I couldn't to differentiate between the two

Back