Is a good time for a cagemate?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuuHouhouji

My chin is standard male of almost one year old. I wanna get him a male friend and i found a male pink white that is a 3.5 months old. I wondering if this age diference is hard to pair. I have read that two chins under 6 months or one under 6 months with one over 10 years are the easiest to pair. (But I'm not sure if that is true)

I have also read that sometimes standard chins doesn't accept any mutations (my baby as only saw standard grey chins his whole life) Is these usually a problem?

I have a ferret nation 182 so if everything goes wrong i can keep them separed.

Also i have only one chin. So there are no females around. Does that make the bonding easier?

I have has my chin for 9 months. So I'm still very new to all these.

Unfortunately, pairing really depends on the chins you are going to try to pair. Not having a female around will definitely help, but if they don't like each other, they won't get along. Its something you'll have to try and figure out as you go along. As for standards not liking mutations; I've never heard anything like that and find it really ridiculous. Get whatever you want and go from there.

lol, chins are not mutation-ists (chin racism?), mutation does not predict their ability to get along. It's up to the individual chins. Just be sure to quarantine your new chin when you get him (30 days - separate cage, separate room) and also make sure your future chin is also a boy (a lot of chins are mis-sexed, especially at pet stores). Then follow a very slow introduction process and be very attentive to behavioral changes in your chins during this time. It's great that you can keep them separate if you need to and if they get along the 182 is a great cage for two chins (that's what I have for my two boys).

Thanks, but my husband make me change my mind. He is right, Totoro is still having those days in which he acts has he doesn't know who whe are; and I may not have enough time for tame a new chin and try introductions.
I should keep my time to my single chin. Also I'm really afraid of the two don't getting along so I may be better don't trying it for now.
So I will use the money to buy him new stuff, so he doesn't get bored. :)

Back