Introducing my chinchillas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KelseyLynn

So I decided to make a new thread discussing my progress on introducing my two girls, Chelsea and Lilo.

Chelsea is approaching 2 years old and Lilo is around 4 months, so I have read that it is easier to introduce a kit and an adult.

I currently have their cages next to each other since two nights ago. On the first day I put them together, I must have put them too close. Within a few hours I heard a squeak and noticed Lilo had bit Chelsea's tail through the cage bars. I immediately pulled the cages apart a few more inches.. I feel really bad because as some of you know, Chelsea's tail is bare due to her odd habit of "plucking" the fur on her tail out. It was a pretty good bite and drew blood and now looks mostly like a scab. Is there anything I should do about this? I don't want to irritate her poor tail anymore :(

Another thing I was curious about is that during the first night, Lilo woke me up because she was barking. And on the second night, it was Chelsea. What does this call mean? It's a very loud series of about 5 barks, then they'll stop for a few seconds and continue again. Until I got up out of bed and pet them a bit, they wouldn't stop calling.

Thanks!

http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467 here you can find & identify the sounds they have been making. Yes, it is generally easier to introduce a kit, but it sounds like your first chin is already acting territorial. It might help to clean her cage to minimize her smell. Some people also try introducing on neutral ground, ie- a playpen that has been sanitized and scrubbed. Others try the "smoosh" method where you force the chins into a confined space...apparently this cuts back on chasing and attacking. As for me, I just threw my third chin as a kit in with my first two and they became her surrogate parents...I think I simply got lucky. They have cuddled non-stop since day one. I'd try to get some Blu-Kote for the wound & keep an eye on it. Good luck! I hope someone with more experience in difficultly introducing chins can chime in as to what really worked for them!

Thanks for the response, Andrea. Recently, Chelsea tends to hang around the side of her cage closest to Lilo's and tries to get her attention. She doesn't seem to care too much about the bite.

Lilo doesn't show any interest in Chelsea at all. Although I do have to admit I have never met two animals who were more polar opposites. Chelsea could let me pet her all day long, while Lilo kacks and runs away at my touch. I'm thinking this extreme difference in personality might cause some problems.. but I'm not giving up just yet!

Back