Introducing an rescue/older chinchilla to younger one

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vcchinchilla

I have been hoping to get a companion for Mei Mei ever since I bought him, he is now 5-6 month old now and has finally warmed up to me alot.

Since buying him I noticed another chinchilla(about 2 hrs old) that was given to the pet shop (he's un wanted sevrely stressed pulled out his hair and everything)

Pic and story of him
http://crazisilverangel.blogspot.com/2011/06/think.html?m=1

I visit him 2-4 times a month. He's gone from angry bald loner to hair grown back, super curious and much more livelier and enjoys scratches behind the ear =)!!

Since then I've been saving up to buy him. I have arranged a meeting in play pin for the two.

So my question is, is the play pen at all a good idea?
Is that even safe? Because I didn't quarantine the rescue myself? Do I risk MeiMei health?
Will that at all determine if it would be a good match?
Because I know the first thing they show is aggression, which usually doesn't mean anything because over time they realize they don't need to be like that.

How should I go about this?
if the play pen was successful
I should...
Take care of the rescue in another room/cage
Once warmed up to me and vet checked I should

Here is where it gets fuzzy
Have play dates?
Have cages in view of each other? Close to each other ?
Put the cage in to the cage?

Ideas?
Is ther anything special I need to do for the rescue?
Is there anything I need to do because he is older then my current one?
I heard a car ride together really helps with bonding? Is that in the same or separate cage?

Since then I've been saving up to buy him. I have arranged a meeting in play pin for the two.

So my question is, is the play pen at all a good idea? Bad idea, do some searches on how to intro, you need to take it slow, and not just toss them together in a play pen.
Is that even safe? Because I didn't quarantine the rescue myself? Do I risk MeiMei health? You should quarentine the new chin in your own home so you know for sure that it hasn't been exposed to anything.
Will that at all determine if it would be a good match?
Because I know the first thing they show is aggression, which usually doesn't mean anything because over time they realize they don't need to be like that.

How should I go about this?
if the play pen was successful
I should...
Take care of the rescue in another room/cage
Once warmed up to me and vet checked I should

Here is where it gets fuzzy
Have play dates?
Have cages in view of each other? Close to each other ?
Put the cage in to the cage?

Ideas?
Is ther anything special I need to do for the rescue?
Is there anything I need to do because he is older then my current one?
I heard a car ride together really helps with bonding? Is that in the same or separate cage?

It's always a gamble when introing chins. You need to be prepared that they may never get along, and have 2 of everything. Cages, supplies etc... Definitely do your own quarentine before starting intros. Read through some intro threads for ideas on a better method. Good luck!

Playpen is a bad idea, straight up!

Firstly you would need to quarentine your new chin for 30 days.
Next you would have to start slowly, but putting the cages side by side but a few inches a part, so the chins get familiar with the others smell.

THEN you can slowly alternate cages, then eventually try a netural territory
Right off the bat if you throw them into a playpen you could have a bloodmatch

Agree with the quaratine 1st.

This is what I did. Again, like people have told me, its a gamble and it DONT mean it will or WONT work for each person.

Bam Bam was 3 months and Tum Tum a little passed 1 years old.

So I spent 3 months for them to keep the cage near each other ENOUGH for them to sniff each other on a daily basis. Every other day I take them both out to play with each other while I SUPERVISE! So after 3 months, I then placed Bam Bam into Tum Tums cage after cleaning the whole thing to rid each other of all scents. Did this about a month, but only when I am home to see them incase attack each other.

So then I tested 3 days that Bam Bam was to stay overnight in Tum Tum's cage. And it was fine. Then the test trial lasted about 7 days. lol since i was constantly worried Tum Tum would attack Bam Bam since he was a baby.

Now actually Bam Bam is 6 months now and hes doing great with Tum Tum. Tum Tum seems happier to have someone with him to be able to cuddle and sleep together. LIke a good friend. So my 1st time introducing 2 males together was successful .

Although mine wasn't a rescue, I just wanted to share my story saying it was successful but took alot of patience. Good luck

Back