Introducing 3rd Chin to bonded pair

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeanneAlese

im new to this web site & dont know how to start a thread. but im having a problem hopefully someone can help me. I bought my first chin from a pet store. then I got a second from a breeder they got along great right away & have been fine together since. My friend got a chin from the same pet store I did & she can no longer take care of him so I took him in. The new chin I just got from my friend lived with the first one I bought at the pet store. So they both got along before. I kept there cages next to eachother for a few days I know I wasnt supposed to introduce them so quick but I figured they would be fine since they lived together before. turns out that was a bad move, They were fine in the bathroom at first but then My first chin started chasing the new one a couple times and showed some aggression, the new one got scared and released a couple small amounts of fur. Turns out my first chin bit his ear :( I dont understand why hes being so mean & aggressive toward him when they lived together before. The chin I got from the breeder gets along with the new one fine. Do you think the first one will come around? maybe its because I rushed it? & does anyone think ill have any luck if I try reintroducing them in a month or two? I would really like to keep all 3 in the same cage. your replys & opinions would be much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
At the top of the section you want to post a topic in, on the left, you'll see a "New Thread" button. Click that and you can start a new thread. I started this one for you.

I dont think im allowed to post threads yet because im new. I dont see that at the top and at the bottom under rules it says I may not post threads so I dont know whats going on. but thank you for your help! :)

Just because they were together in the past, it does not mean they will always get along. People have taken one chin to the vet, come home and put it back in the cage with its buddy only to see a fight break out. Chins can be weird that way. You should have done a 30 day quarantine before introing them but that pointless now. Put them in their separate cages for now with the cages next to each other, far enough apart that they can not reach each other through the bars. Wait a few weeks and then switch cages without cleaning them. this will allow them to get used to each other's smell. Switch them every couple of days for a week or two. the next step will be to thoroughly clean the cage you want them all in. Rearrange the shelves and other items in the cage. This will make it seem like a new cage to all of them. Add chins and keep a very close eye on them for any signs of fighting. If they fight, separate them. You need to do this when you can be at home for a few days to watch them closely.

As I said before trios often do NOT work and can cause a permanent problem with the existing pair - so be very careful. It has been said if blood is drawn forget it. You said the first chin bit the 3rd chin's ear - that has me very worried

I actually been putting them in each others cages over night and my aggressive chin is no longer trying to get him through the bars! they were kinda trying to touch noses and sniffing each other then they would both start pop corning. So im going to do this a few more times for a couple more months then decide if its ok to try and intro them again. hoping for the best! thanks again everyone!

Back