Injured leg after fall - please help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxy

Hi,

My girl Harlow fell on Sunday night as she was trying to jump to the top level of her cage. I saw it happen and ran over to her, and she was crying an awful lot.
I've been keeping an eye on her and she is still eating/drinking and can still move around, but she is obviously limping and favouring her right hind leg.
She's too upset and on edge for me to handle her, so its a bit difficult to see whats really going on.
I have removed her wheel and the top level from her cage so that she is limited to the bottom and second level, and moved the food dish closer to her.
I have tried letting the girls out and she will barely even come out of her cage, which is very out of character.

Obviously a vet's opinion would be better, but should I wait a few days to see if there is any improvement? We don't have a vet currently, and I know it will be an expensive trip as I live in a very pricey city. I will spend the money if I have to, of course, but I'm wondering if there is even anything a vet can do for a leg injury?

Any advice would be very appreciated, my chins have never been sick or injured before.

I am located in Vancouver, if anyone knows of a reasonably priced/ reputable vet in the area.

Thanks for your help :(

She needs a vet. They can determine if there is a fracture or just soft tissue damage. Either way, the chin needs some kind of pain medication.

***UPDATE

I have decided to set up my emergency cage for her tonight, so that she is restricted to just one level. She seems to be okay but when my other girl (they share a cage) jumps on her to play, it seems to give her discomfort. I can hear her squeak a bit when that happens.

I have taken a closer look and there are no cuts or abrasions. The foot is not hanging from the leg or anything like that, it just seems that she is trying to avoid putting pressure on it and carrying it awkwardly.

I called a vet's office and it was closed.

I would definately call a vet today again, seems like your pet is in pain and I wouldn't want that for my pets to happen. Maybe she just sprained something, it could be nothing serious, but I think that a trip to a vet would be wise. Good luck with your girl!

Back