Info on Weimaraner breed!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midwest Exotics

CnQ member since 2003
My husband & i have been looking into dogs, actually for a few years & are thinking perhaps to take the step sometime this late fall or winter to purchase our family's first puppy together.

We have been hunting for good breeds who will be very loyal, help to protect us in the even needed, & a dog that would be a good candidate for training. Obviously, we want one good with kids, etc etc, the perfect dog. HA (we have seen Marley & me) =] I really would love a dog that enjoys to swim, but i realize that is sometimes only up to the personality of the dog.

In the past chris & i have both owned a form of lab & have strongly considered just going that route because we both LOVED our past dogs dearly & they were great! We also have debated a boxer,but everyone always raves how hyper they are, so i'd be fairly nervous.

We were recently in a local pet store & they had weimaraners, my distant cousin has them & ive never known what they were.

So, after seeing those not only as adults at my cousins, but as puppies from the store, im in awe. I want to look into them a touch. (Obviously, not at all interested in purchasing from the pet store, but they are kinda what sparked my interest.)

Does anyone have any good info or links they would like to send. Anyone that owns want to give me the good & bad... & the ugly?

I really thank everyone for their time, this will be a big step & a big member of our family, so we want to choose someone who will suit us well & visa verse!

I do not know a lot about them, but my sister is an avid fan of the breed, and has three. She'll most likely never be without her weims.

I can tell you from being around hers, and dog sitting countless times that the breed in general is a very hyper breed, and does best with something to do. If they are bored, they WILL get destructive. They are great with her and her husband, but are stand offish with strangers--including "family" that isn't there on a daily basis. One of hers does NOT like kids. They DO have a high prey drive, and WILL go after small animals in a heartbeat. The three of them are also very head strong and stubborn. They have to work hard to be at the top of the pack.

A wonderfull breed of dog, very pretty but not right for me. They need a dedicated owner, who is willing to work with them

This may get you started. Please find yourself a GOOD breeder. My sister had to have one of the "BLUE" weims. The only "breeder" she found within a 5 hour drive was an amish puppy mill... and bought him anyway. He has a whole mess of problems, and I think many are due to being from a puppymill.
http://www.weimclubamerica.org/index.html

They really sound like they would work wonderful for what we are looking for, i just dont know how to keep them fully entertained in the winter months as we dont do nearly as much outdoors.

We are a pretty outdoorsy/sporty family & are outside when the weather permits really. We also have a large yard(that will be fenced in once we get the dog) so letting him run free to burn off energy wouldnt be a big issue. The cottage is another place we visit often & im certain that would be packed with entertainment year round.

Ive been reading some different sites & of course things contradict each other a bit, but over all seem like a great breed that we will surely be looking into. Hopefully i can find a breeder close to go visit & some good sites, so far the sites i've found are kinda blah.

I've been to that link thus far, i will be sending the link onto my husband for him to read over.=]

Thanks Meg for your personal input, thats what im looking for. Honesty that has been there done that.

Last edited:
Gah, its such a debate between these breeds, i cant decide. I know we cannot go wrong with a lab, but something different always interests me too!!

Hi Kate! If you think boxers are high energy, then steer far, FAR away from weims! My sister has owned 3, and all were crazy. Every weim owner I've ever met has agreed that they are very crazy, high energy dogs. My sister ended up having to get rid of her last two, even after spending $2,000 on training, because they ate everything in site, constantly ran away (after chewing the invisble fence collars off each other EVEN WITH bitter apple on them!), and were incredible jumpers!

A weim is an excellent dogs but needs his daily few hours of run... they are a hunting dogs therefore destructive if they don't spend their energy. Not that they want to be, it's just the energy in overwhelming for them.
Their main goal is to bring preys home.... So for hunting it's one of the great dogs, but a sit home dog... I would say no.
We had a short haired pointer which was an excellent dog inside the home and out, but we had her run, excercise, throwing balls etc... for 2-3 hours a day for her to be calm in the home. When you have the time it's great otherwise... not a favor to the dog or yourself.
But we totally loved her and was a sweet loving cuddling baby. Although misses her masters when not with her and would howel in the house for hours apparently.
Didn't know, we were at work.
Put her to sleep at the age of 7 because her liver was like one that drink alchool all day long and dies from it.(can't think of the word in english)

Last edited:
When I was a teenager, our family got a lab/weim mix from a shelter. He was a great dog and very smart. My sister took that dog EVERYWHERE. When my sister met up with a friend once that she hadn't seen in a long time, the friend ran up and hugged her and Buster (the dog) snapped at him. He was NOT an aggressive dog but he was protective. If my sister and her friend just hugged, the dog would have been fine with it but the friend ran up to her screaming to hug her and the dog freaked. All in all, he was a wonderful dog who we had to have put to sleep 25 years ago and we still talk about that dog lovingly to this day.
Buster was very trainable. He knew hand signals and was a very obedient dog. He used to carry the newspaper in every morning for my Dad. He never needed to be leashed and he never ran away. He obeyed every command on the first word. To us, he was a very exceptional dog and I've never had one like him since. That is my experience with weimeraners. I don't know much about pure bred weimeraners, though. I just thought I'd throw in my two cents worth.

The one big negative i've been reading is that they are sometimes too protective. We certainly arent giving up on our hunt, but will be going to see a few different breeders dogs before making any kind of choices!

Its definitely going to be a journey to find the right breed for us!

Anyone that owns want to give me the good & bad... & the ugly?

I've never owned a Weim, but boarded at a stable that raised and bred competition dogs. They were neat dogs and seemed to be good with the kids and people, not as barky as some breeds but very active. They had to be out hunting or working on a course daily. If she was gone and they were not worked you could slice the tension/intensity with a knife. It's different with labs, my housemate at the time owned a high energy hunting lab, after a few days cooped up she'd just be a wiggly uncontrollable mess, but not intense like that.

They were prone to getting the fibroid things that can be cancerous. I remember her taking them in to get the new lumps tested yearly.

I can't say I've met a calm boxer, but then again I've never met a calm boxer owner either. It's really about the owner. To me the Weims appeared to be great dogs, but she put a lot of work into them.

My friend's Corgi appears calm but she's exceptionally well trained and worked daily. Coop her up for a day and it's like over-winding a toy top and letting it go - she's so fast it's a blur.

Good luck on your hunt! Wish you were closer, you could come visit the one we just had show up at the barn. I think she'd make the perfect family dog. Looks to be a german shepherd/whippet cross. Gentle, sweet, very naturally calm and just a well balanced dog. Can't believe anyone would dump her.

Aww thats too bad that someone dumped a loving dog! Thats actually how we got my first. (well i cant say that he was dumped, but definitely wandered from his home.) I found him one morning running around our yard, let him be for a while figuring he'd go home. Never happened. Weeks of posting listing & fliers in mailboxes to find his home no one called. We kept him because he was great in every way. Come to find out he was a very healthy full blood lab, my Vet was shocked that someone would let this guy wander. He was a great dog & im hoping our next will be just as memorable.

Ive been online searching all afternoon when i should be doing many other things & stumbled upon another color boxer i've never seen or heard of. The silver & charcoals. Ive read some of the controversy, but to me, all im looking for is temperament, health, things like that.

My husband is going to be VERY hard to convince with any other dog other than a lab of some kind. He loves them & thinks thats what HE wasnt no questions asked. I want something "different," not your ever day dog. I really love the looks of the weimaraners, & the silver labs do look an awful lot like them. Its a happy medium really. Plus we will both get the lab personality we both first fell in love with!

Still lots & lots of reading, asking, etc before we make any final choices. I am scheduling a meeting with a few breeders when we return from vacation! Weeee!!! =]=] I think for once my husband is about as excited as i am about a new pet!!!!YAY!

Have you looked into any rescues in the area? Whether it be a lab rescue, weimaraner rescue or what have you. Being a rescue, they'd have a better idea of a certain dog's personality and how well it would work with your family.

Sure, you may not get a full blooded purebreed, but that isn't always important. You can get some real cute and unique looking dogs! When I got Lila from the shelter, I had always sworn I would never get a lab since they're so common, but here I am with a Lab/Irish setter mix and I wouldn't have it any other way!

http://www.campk9dogs.com/rescue.shtml
http://www.cilra.org/
http://www.greatlakesweimrescue.com/available-weimaraners.htm

Last edited:
silver labs do look

Without really reading the thread or contributing much... I would stay away from the "odd" and "rare" colors. These dogs are typically bred for color, and often the 'breeder' doesnt' seem to care as much for the rest of the health of the dog. Further, a lot of the dilute colors have some skin (and occasionally other) problems that are due to the dilute coloring - the hairs are not as strong, and the underlying skin and somewhat abnormal. You will pay more for a potentially less healthy dog.

I would talk to at least one vet in your area... they may know what breeders in your area are reputable based on the animals they've seen come through their doors. They may or may not be willing to talk about it though (can't say as it's come up for me, so I don't know what our clinic policy is, but if someone made an appointment, I wouldn't have any problems doing that). Also talk to local trainers.

Every Weimeraner I've met is a hyperactive knucklehead. For what that's worth. Many labs are too, but I've met more "good" labs than "good" Weims. And even idiot labs can be reasoned with, but doesn't seem like you can reason with as many Weims.

I thank all of you for your input, this is all very important to our over all final choice!

We are planning to look in our local shelters before placing any deposits on a breeder pup. Pure bred isnt as much a must to us as over all temperament, health & longevity.

I am planning to get more info on the silver "lines" as i dont really know much at all about it. Thats the first thing my husband said too, was check to make sure their health isnt impaired due to color lines.

I cant seem to find too many breeders around us with them, so who knows, a shepard lab would be awesome too, i just want a good dog. SO many options i dont want to have to decide. =] Dogs are great & its been WAY too long since i've had one to play with!

We will be more on our toes when we return from vacation! Weeee!

We are planning to look in our local shelters before placing any deposits on a breeder pup. Pure bred isnt as much a must to us as over all temperament, health & longevity.

Do you have any shelters in your area that use the Meet Your Match program? The more I work with it, the more I love it. After all, for most pet owners it isn't the "chocolate lab" or "brindle great dane" part that is really the most important. What is MOST important is something like "will do okay while I'm at work 8 hours a day" or "does great with small children." The MYM program fits your needs with the personality of the dog, which helps ensure a life of happiness for both of you.

I think personality matches should be the priority for everyone, not the breed. Yes breeds have traits, but no breeds stick with the traits 100%. Wouldn't it be better (for anyone, not just you) to find a dog that fits well with your family and your lifestyle, rather than just tossing the dice and hoping if you get the breed you like it will fit will with you?

Back