Influenza- Contagious or Not?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pleiades

Manipulated by the Cute
I have not been able to find a straight answer about this online, or even here. Most people are saying respiratory illnesses can be passed to chins, but what about regular flu?

I woke up this morning with sudden flu symptoms (fever, nausea, aching muscles, loss of appetite, weakness), but no respiratory ones, and am just wondering what kind of danger that can present?

Of course, I am going to wear a mask and gloves when I go in to the chin room to feed them and everything, but it makes me so sad they won't get their regular playtime or scritches for a while. They're going to be so grumpy, and they won't know why I'm "neglecting" them. :( :( :(

Last edited:
Some say no, some say yes. I know that when I was at a show and a very respected judge was in attendance, she wore a mask the entire time because she was sick. She said she would not expose her animals to her illness, and she wasn't going to expose anyone else's.

I also know of a person who lost several chins following a bout with the flu, and on necropsy, they felt that the chins had developed a form of the flu as well.

When I'm sick, I don't go hear the chins unless I have a mask on.

Don't worry. Your guys will be okay for a little bit until you feel better. Once they get out for play time again, they will forget being crabby. :)

I now wear a fask mask when dusting and when I am sick..it just isn't worth the worry and won't hurt the chinchillas any with precations

Back