I'm thinking about adopting a hedgie, and I have a couple of questions.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tablo

At first, I was thinking about getting a chinny, but I think a hedgie is the way to go for me. I can make a C&C cage, rather than having to buy a CN or FN, and that will help me LOTS.

I own two guinea pigs. Could I stack a 2x3 or 2x4 on top of their 2x6 cage? I can keep them in the same room, right?

Does a hedgie C&C need a cover?

Water? In a heavy ceramic bowl, right? Same as food?

Bedding? Is fleece okay? Flannel? What do you fabric users... use?

Wheel? No wheel?

Food... Does mixing these two seem okay?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4397259
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4397258

Chews? Can I use just what I would for the pigs? How about fiddle sticks?

Hideouts? Wood? Plastic? Either or?

Litter box? Do I need one? How well do they train?

Sorry, so many questions :x

I own two guinea pigs. Could I stack a 2x3 or 2x4 on top of their 2x6 cage? I can keep them in the same room, right?
I think you could probably keep them in the same room. However, the heat requirements for a hedgie are more demanding. You'll see slightly different numbers depending on the source you read... but around 74-76F works well for many hedgies. And it needs to be pretty consistent... they wouldn't be able to survive a nice warm day followed by a cool evening. It has to stay within a few degree range, else they could attempt hibernation. And these domesticated hedgies don't survive that terribly well. Hibernation attempts leave them prone to illness. And actual hibernation can lead to death.

So, possibly, you build a hedgie cage on top of a piggie cage and ensure a consistent temp for the hedgies by using a ceramic heat emitter (bulb and lamp) that's tied into a thermostat controller.

Does a hedgie C&C need a cover?
I'd recommend it. Many hedgies are climbers.

Water? In a heavy ceramic bowl, right? Same as food?
Works well for my crew. Kind of like the piggies... something nice a low so they can get to it... and heavy enough that it doesn't tip. And, yep, for both food and water. I know you could use a water bottle for piggies, but definitely not for hedgies... Hedgie necks don't comfortably bend that way for drinking, some have been known to chip a tooth from the metal part, and I've seen (in pics, not first-hand) the results of one getting their tongue stuck in the metal ball/tube contraption.

Bedding? Is fleece okay? Flannel? What do you fabric users... use?
Fleece and flannel are great. You'll want to stay away from other fabrics where threads can come loose. Threads have a way of winding themselves around hedgie toes, cutting off circulation, and badness ensues.

I use fleece. Used to use vellux. But fleece holds up better over time.

Wheel? No wheel?
Wheel; definitely wheel. If you go commercial, think of something like the biggest size Comfort Wheel. Else, check out Larry's wheels. Hedgies need a solid running surface (so, not like your typical "rat" wheel where there are those bars that they run on; nor the Silent Spinner that has those slits down the centerline).

I haven't really seen anyone recommending Authority as a good food for hedgies. Certainly, it's better than some, but corn seems to be a top ingredient. If you're looking at PetSmart, I'd go with Blue Buffalo, Innova, etc... This one might be nice if paired with another food that has a lower fat %: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12149197&lmdn=Brand Maybe something like this one: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11495890&lmdn=Brand

Chews? Can I use just what I would for the pigs? How about fiddle sticks?
Hedgie teeth are just like ours. We have one set as adults that do not keep growing. You don't want them to grind those down any more than you'd want to have your own teeth ground down. Hedgies don't need chews.

Hideouts? Wood? Plastic? Either or?
Yes. Definitely. Hedgies are awake at night (busy eating and wheeling) and asleep during the day. They need the light on during the day, but tuck themselves away in a hideout. Many people get their hedgies one of those plastic igloos and put in a blankie (small fleece). Others have hedgiebags/snuggle sacks; ie, a hedgie-size sleeping bag made out of fleece or fleece/flannel. Wood is okay, but it's more difficult to clean if & when hedgie makes a mess (poop & pee).

Litter box? Do I need one? How well do they train?
Sort of... Most hedgies will use their wheels as a litter box. The plus side is that their messies are mostly contained to the wheel area. The minus is that you have the pleasure of cleaning a wheel and four feet in the mornings.

Some people put a low-sided litter box right under the lower edge of the wheel to catch the run-off. Other people (myself included) place some wheel mats there instead. A wheel mat is just a layer or two of fleece that absorbs the mess... You change them out every day.

I currently have a hedgie who likes to poop/pee in the corner behind the wheel. I tried to put a litter box there, she just changed corners to one without the litter box. So now I just place wheel mats in the corner behind the wheel.

Very important to keep in mind when asking "how well do they train" -- hedgies are Jedi masters. Not entirely unlike Yoda, they are small and very powerful. It's not so much about you training them as it is them training you.

So, this is what I'm thinking.

A large one of these:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21306

Two small ones:
http://www.petco.com/product/120235/Petco-Ceramic-Dish-for-Small-Animals-in-Eggshell

One of these:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753266

8 pounds of this, as I can also feed it to my 3 kitties, and it's much better for them than a 3lb bag of Special Kitty that costs like 9 bucks:

I can buy crickets (live AND freeze dried from a local bait shop, as I can with meal worms and wax worms too, even cheaper than online, plus there's no shipping cost!)

I am ordering a 2x2 (or 2x3) coro base (it's JUST over 5 feet of area) online from the GPC store, because I cannot cut coro correctly to SAVE MY LIFE.

This heating pad (and also, maybe a heating light, but I don't think it'll be necessary because I also have 2 space heaters in my room, and my door is always shut, with NO drafts):
http://www.walmart.com/ip/SoftHeat-Moist-or-Dry-Heating-Pad/10752335

I'm going to make flannel cage liners (far cheaper than fleece, believe me, I use fleece currently and just purchasing the initial fleece was... oof.) and use diaper pad cloth for the absorbent layer (easier to sew by hand than a uHaul pad is)
http://www.wahmsupply.com/ZORB-White-45-Wide-By-the-Yard-249.htm
and Joann's flannel

I WILL be making a lid for the cage.

Did I miss anything? I very well could have, I don't have my list on me.

Looks good.

You might want four. That way, when you pull the food and water dishes out for cleaning, you can pop another set in right away, instead of having to wash them, dry them, and refill them immediately.

Yes!

8 pounds of this, as I can also feed it to my 3 kitties, and it's much better for them than a 3lb bag of Special Kitty that costs like 9 bucks:
Nice that hedgie can share with the kitties. I'd add another dry kibble into the mix. If you have two (or more) kinds of food in their mix and hedgie decides s/he doesn't like one any more (either it's gone stale or the company changed the formula since the last time you bought it), then you always have the other one to fall back on until you can get another acceptable second food into the mix. With hedgies, you can't really do a full change over from one food to a different one quickly, else their bellies become rather upset and they have green slimy poops. So, say your hedgie is on just one food and it's recalled (salmonella) or they change formula and you have to find something else ASAP, hedgie is in for a hard time :(
The other thing to consider is that hedgies' nutritional requirements aren't perfectly mapped out. And they don't seem to be completely covered by one food alone. So, for the second food, I'd really recommend going with a different main meat. And I'd look at going with a different brand -- figuring two different brands are going to emphasize different aspects of nutrition.

I can buy crickets (live AND freeze dried from a local bait shop, as I can with meal worms and wax worms too, even cheaper than online, plus there's no shipping cost!)
Get the live ones; not the freeze dried. The freeze dried ones can pose digestive problems for some hedgies - blockages.

I am ordering a 2x2 (or 2x3) coro base (it's JUST over 5 feet of area) online from the GPC store, because I cannot cut coro correctly to SAVE MY LIFE.
Hahaha... sounds like a nice size. If you're going with a c&c cage, make sure the coroplast goes up the sides a bit -- it'll prevent hedgie from wandering away (unless the cube grid size is quite smal) and hold the heat in a bit better.

This heating pad (and also, maybe a heating light, but I don't think it'll be necessary because I also have 2 space heaters in my room, and my door is always shut, with NO drafts):
http://www.walmart.com/ip/SoftHeat-Moist-or-Dry-Heating-Pad/10752335
Do some random checks of the temp in your room at different times of the day to ensure that the space heaters are keeping up with falling night-time temps.

Heating pads can be nice for that post-bath time, but don't rely on them as your main source of heat. They all have that delightful safety feature where they automatically turn off after a certain time. Also, while hedgie may be nice and warm when they're on it one step off and it becomes cold. Hedgie will need to make it to their dishes, up on the wheel, etc...

If your random checks of the room temp (really, get a thermometer, stick it where hedgie's cage will be) show that it's varying more than 5 degrees or getting below the mid-70's F, you can definitely help even it out with a heat emitter. I'd go with the ones labeled "ceramic heat emitter" and not a "heat lamp"/"heating light" because the CHE's don't produce light while the lamps do. You want hedgie to stay warm at night... with the light off.

I'm going to make flannel cage liners (far cheaper than fleece, believe me, I use fleece currently and just purchasing the initial fleece was... oof.) and use diaper pad cloth for the absorbent layer (easier to sew by hand than a uHaul pad is)
http://www.wahmsupply.com/ZORB-White-45-Wide-By-the-Yard-249.htm
and Joann's flannel
Great. Ensure that you make nice, small, tight stitches when you're sewing the flannel and cloth together so hedgie can't accidentally catch a toe on the stitching.

I WILL be making a lid for the cage.
Sounds good. Especially with 3 kitties who are sharing the same type of food!

Did I miss anything? I very well could have, I don't have my list on me.
Let's see... food, water, dishes, hidey place, liners... oh, you may want to cut some spare flannel as little blankies for hedgie to snuggle with in the igloo... And, depending on your sewing skills, you could make some snuggle sacks. Whatever you do, make more than one. If you have only one of each, Hedgie will, invariably, decide to turn it into a mess at the most inconvenient time for you.
heating, wheel, cubes, coroplast... a thermometer would be good. There are relatively inexpensive ones you can stick to the inside of hedgie's house -- usually found in the reptile section of a pet supply store. They're great for doing a quick check to ensure hedgie's heating is adequate. Aside from figuring out where my hedgies are (eg, under their liner, under their hats, in their hedgiebags, or in their igloos), the in-cage thermometers are the first thing I check when I go in the hedgie room...

Overall, sounds pretty good. You'll know if you need more (like a CHE, lamp, and thermostat) after you get the thermometer in place and do some spot checks. And, of course, there are other types of supplies like a scrubby to clean the wheel, hedgiewipes (unscented baby wipes) to clean up oopses, nail clippers, medical supplies, etc... But it sounds like you have all the cage-related things pretty well covered :)

I've been hand sewing for YEARS. Skill is no big deal, I got it. I sew rag blankets by HAND. Making cage liners and snuggle sacks are no big deal.

Kitties are NOT allowed in my bedroom, which is where pigs, and hopefully soon to be hedgie, are located. The door is always shut, and it's an old house, which means old door knobs, and they DO NOT open unless you physically twist the knob. I love them lol

Thermometer:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6016+11148+9767&pcatid=9767
would that work?

Ceramic heater? I have no experience with this. Any help? Light isn't a problem at all. I don't buy a lamp if I've got enough light, and just need the heat if I absolutely DO NOT have to.

I've got PLENTY of unscented baby wipes left over from a surgery, and I've got another (hopefully) coming up soon to fix a severe untreated high ankle sprain that's 6 months old.

As for the fleece, can I have it come up over the side of the coro? I'm assuming you can, but one should never assume.

Live bugs (crickets specifically)
can I get an aquarium for the crickets? Chirping doesn't bother me, and we've also got my grandmother's old quilt shop (heated, we're gonna use it for parties and sleep overs and stuff) that I can keep them in if they are in fact, TOO loud. Meal worms... what to do with those? I don't want them to turn into beetles. Wax worms are more widely accessible for me (local bait/bottle shop has little containers for about 75 cents for like, 20 wax worms, available year round) and crickets are easy to get too... they all are, but beetles and spiders, out of ALL bugs, are the ones that creep me out the most, and I can GUARANTEE that my mother would NOT let me keep meal worms in the fridge...

I agree on the food. I feed Sonic and soon to be Sprinkles a mix of 3 different brands. I am transitioning Sprinkles over to the kibble I will be feeding her instead of what the breeder was feeding her. As far as mealworms you can have a plastic bin with them in it and oatmeal and have a mealworm farm. thats what I do but I also got 2 hedgies and 8 sugar gliders.

Last edited:
Back