I'm roasting!! -_-

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErinsChins

So my room is literally 10-15 degrees hotter than the rest of the house. Thermostat says it's 85. I CANT TAKE THIS. I mean, this may be TMI, but you can only take off so much :tease: The sun shines through the window and even at night it's 80-82ish. I prefer the 50's xD Any suggestions that won't add a ton to the bill?

Don't worry, no chins in my room and the chin room is about 55 lol

i'd be in heaven in your room, lol! i'm such a heat junkie, i love to crank the thermostat up (yay for free apartment heat, lol). it's been a tough adjustment period since Rhino came home for me to deal with my place being cooler, but deal i do, because my lil furbutt needs it.

tinfoil on the window, shiny side out might help deflect the sun/heat. cut thick styrofoam to fit in the window to insulate against heat. at night, set up a fan to blow air in through the window.

or........ move your bed to the chin room! :rofl:

A fan to circulate the air and maybe some heat blocking curtains? If you don't spend a lot of time in your room during the day, you can keep them closed, then by night when you head back in, it shouldn't be so warm.

i'd be in heaven in your room, lol! i'm such a heat junkie, i love to crank the thermostat up (yay for free apartment heat, lol). it's been a tough adjustment period since Rhino came home for me to deal with my place being cooler, but deal i do, because my lil furbutt needs it.

tinfoil on the window, shiny side out might help deflect the sun/heat. cut thick styrofoam to fit in the window to insulate against heat. at night, set up a fan to blow air in through the window.

or........ move your bed to the chin room! :rofl:

Oh I hate heat :p Summer is NOT my season!

I would do that, but my parent's would probably be against it because the "neighbors might think we're weird" :D

It used to be lol

Ash- I might try that, thanks! How easy are heat blocking curtains to find?

Apparently, not that easy... but if you search on yahoo, there are different sites on how to make them. I'm not sure if insulated curtains would work as well for blocking out heat as they do the cold.

They sell curtains at walmart that are ENERGY SAVER curtains - they block out pretty much everything except radiation. They aren't too ridiculously expensive, I think they're like 20 bucks or so? I remember the number 19.98 for a set for one window, but I'm probably wrong.

Insulation is insulation. It helps to keep a certain temp in. A well insulated room with help to keep cool air or hot air in.

My bedroom is always several degrees warmer than the rest of the house (which is why it is hard to convince the roommates that the air needs to be a 68 when the house is already cool). I blame the two little heaters living in the cage. I prefer to be cold, not warm. The only benefit I found with the black-out curtains was that they blocked a bit of the heat from the day and a lot of the light, but they absorbed it and radiated it back out at night so it made it harder to cool at night.

Back