I'm Moving to Canada!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, ok makes sense. They wouldn't want people moving there if they can't afford to live. I have a cold, so my head is a bit fuzzy. Don't know why I thought you wouldn't be able to work. Good luck with everything, and congrats.

Becoming a Canadian citizen isn't easy - they have a points system. It is easier than Europe, but a lot of people aren't eligible if they don't marry a Canadian citizen - and there are plenty of people that do that just for the healthcare :(

Best of luck up there - keep us updated!

My husband wanted to know how much time you have spent in Vancouver. He couldn't believe you are moving from Los Angeles - it is quite a difference in climate and temperature! He thought you might be in for a rude awakening :) We love this area - as we are just south of the border, but it is very damp and rainy a lot of the time - hence the lush greenery we have. I'm thinking, though, as I get old and senile, I'll have to move south to get to know what the sun is before I die! :)

WOW, that is good information. THANK YOU SO MUCH JENN!

@TSK- well in case I can't find work, he has to support me, for example: put a roof over my head, feed me, and clothe me. I can work with a permanent resident visa, just finding a job is the issue.

I don't know the situation in BC, but the economic crissis isn't that bad here, what's the kind of job you're looking for?

@ jenn- Oh i've beed to the Vancouver area many times, and I dont expect that it will be as warm as it is here in Los Angeles. But i know I will be cold for an entire year at least, As i get used to the weather. Every time it gets around 60 degrees here, i say im freezing and ask my husband why im moving to Canada again! >.< heehee he says He'll keep me warm, and buy me warm clothes.

@Fia- Well Currently I hold a degree in mathematics, im not sure what the equivalent is there in canada i am trying to find a website that will allow my degree to be recognized in Canada. And right now I am working in the Hotel Sales Industry, which is not too bad and I know Vancouver is a touristy area, so maybe I'll try the hotels there.

@Fia- Well Currently I hold a degree in mathematics, im not sure what the equivalent is there in canada i am trying to find a website that will allow my degree to be recognized in Canada. And right now I am working in the Hotel Sales Industry, which is not too bad and I know Vancouver is a touristy area, so maybe I'll try the hotels there.

I bet there will be a lot to offer with the 2010 olympics coming up...

Congrats on getting your permanent residence! You'll be living not too far from our area if I recall :)

I work in the travel industry and can tell you that Vancouver hotels may have something based on your skillset, however, many have been going through layoffs recently. It may be a little tougher, but not as tough as the US job market at the moment. I'll keep an ear open and let you know if I hear of anyone looking for staff.

Becoming a Canadian citizen isn't easy - they have a points system. It is easier than Europe, but a lot of people aren't eligible if they don't marry a Canadian citizen - and there are plenty of people that do that just for the healthcare

That's not really accurate. The point system assesses much more than the fact that you are married to a Canadian. In fact, that is not even one of the criteria that gives you the highest points. Not to mention that marrying a Canadian does not automatically grant you rights to be a resident, citizen or benefit from the healthcare.

The points are there to make sure that whoever wants to come in can be a contributing member to society and has the means to support themselves rather than leech on the system. It's a long process but many people make it through (especially Americans because of the NAFTA agreement)

What is not easy I think is the studying and testing. They ask questions about Canada that I doubt an average Canadian could even answer!

Hey Solarsis! I was wondering if you were apart of this forum, now I know!

That would be great if you could keep an ear out for any places hiring, I do need a job after all.

I guess I will have to look more into getting my citizenship for Canada, its unfortunate that I know practically nothing about the political system and history. Though I know most of the provinces names. LOL

I just want to wish you well in your future new life in Canada, and hope that you and your husband will be very happy!

Yay! Canada's awesome!!! I hope you like living here and being a Canadian =D
:welcomewagon:

Well I made it! Now I am here, in canada. I took all my stuff, threw it in the back of the car, grabbed my dad, and we drove all the way from California. WOw what a drive!

So now im here and i have no idea where to get chinchilla stuff. haha. The bedding at the store i went to has Kiln Dried Pine and spruce in it, and I am not sure if that is ok to use, can you tell me?

Also, not a big selection of hay either. I am dissappointed. I gotta go look at other pet stores around here.

Well wish me luck! MY wedding is this friday too. >.<

Congrats and good luck finding supplies.

Maybe she meant the party, family, dress up, thing, as opposed to a civil ceremony.
Congratulations. I hope everything goes smoothly but...............I thought in your first post you said you are already married? :confused:

Sounds like your move to Canada went without a hitch! Yay!! Congrats on your upcoming wedding - how terribly exciting! Make sure you post pics for us. Good luck in finding the supplies you need for your chins - you may find you need to order supplies on line...Anyway, glad to hear the move went well.

Back