I was almost fired!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil_Branchette

Ok, so I work for a huge Canadian chain called ****. I loved working there for the first three months, but now I hate it. For March, we have this sale on anything 15% off. BUT, here's the con: no return, no refund, no exchange. Last week, this one lady wanted to do this one refund. I looked at her receipt, and it said "February 27" on it. That was within the 1 month time frame, so I did a refund, because the product was bought in Feb. The lady paid with a Visa, and she wanted cash back. So that's what I gave her. That's when I got in major trouble. From what I was told, I couldn't do any refunds for March tickets. My manager told me that. Apparently, I was somehow supposed to come to the conclusion that Feb tickets are also non-refundable, even though the 15% sale is for March ONLY. Now, the heard office wants to fire me. My manager had to beg. She keeps on telling me how good I am, how I've never done mistakes before, how nice I am to the customers, blah blah blah. I really like her, but I HATE the friggin head office!!! OH MY GOD! In the words of HM: OMG BBQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My manager is hoping to quietly keep me there, so head office will forget. I hate ****. I see animals on the loose all the time, our hamsters in trash cans, and no body cares. Two chins have escaped already, and tons of people keep quitting. I'm only working there because of my manager, the customers, the poor animals, and the employees. I hate the head office...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, well that is a bit extreme to want to fire you over one mistake.

But I do think I would have a hard time working for a petstore. I feel bad for the poor animals :(

This is why, in our store, only managers can issue refunds. It really sucks for you, though. Good luck.

The policy right now is NO REFUNDS or exchanges. The stores here it is posted about every 4 feet.

For us, we only have like, two sheets, sorta hidden behind some shelves. How was I supposed to know that no refunds or exchanges were to be done for February?? Yeah, I agree guys, poor animals...

Poor you, Margarita. Hopefully they will forget about it...You have a good manager..She must think you are excellent :)

How harsh.

Gosh they are really harsh. But if sometimes there are sale that they don't exchange/refund, why don't they have a stamp "no refund/exchange" that they stamp on the receip while it's that special sale? I see that often in store when on a particula event they are no refund or exchange.

Sounds to me, you're in a small chain having a cash crunch - every penny counts to pay the bills!
In my experience, I'd be taking my paycheck directly to their bank, as I've seen small Co's "overwrite" their checkbooks - and the bank cashes whatever comes in first!

Sounds to me, you're in a small chain having a cash crunch - every penny counts to pay the bills!
In my experience, I'd be taking my paycheck directly to their bank, as I've seen small Co's "overwrite" their checkbooks - and the bank cashes whatever comes in first!

It costs more to hire and train a new employee rather than keep one, so unless they were planning on NOT replacing her - it wouldn't have made sense. It does sound a little weird that the head office would want to fire you over one mistake like that. You may want to ask your boss if there were other concerns.

Maybe that's the point though. If the company is already strapped, they may be looking really hard to find reasons to get rid of anyone they can for any little thing. They won't replace them, they'll just work without them, hoping to get by until the economy is better when they can rehire someone else.

Yeah - usually cheaper, too - it's an employers market out there!

Yeah, our store had been a mess for a while, and people have been quitting. I think it's silly to want to fire me if people are quitting anyway, and we don't have enough. The older employees have to work so much. I'm not worried that much anymore. The majority of the people at my store hate the head office, and their decisions. My manager has to put up with so much of their crap. My manager got it all sorted, so it's all good. I agree with you guys, it's silly to fire me over a mistake. I even remember what I refunded: $18.75. Wow, with THAT huge sum, our store will get bankrupt for sure....Ugh. They can take it out of my paycheck if they care so much. I don't care about money. Life's too much about money.

''Life's too much about money.'' - That is for sure. It's amazing, isn't it? And also, if you don't have money you aren't looked at, you are nothing. So they say.

Ugh, that makes me so sick! My parents have enough money, but they still talk about it! And I hear about it at work all the time. Good thing there are animals. Cats always help me take my mind off such things.

Besides, you only get 1 life. Why worry about money and waste it away?

Latest posts

Back