I saw someone pick their chin up by the tail??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e.murphy518

I love my chinchildren!
So i just had one of my animal science classes and someone was giving a presentation on chinchillas. A lot of the information they were giving was actually not what is best for chins based on what I have read on this forum (such as plastic shelving is basically the only option). Anyway, when she showed the class her chinchillas, she grabbed them both by the tail and picked them up. I would never consider doing this because they both looked terrified and were squirming to get away :( anyway, I was wondering if this is ok? it seems so dangerous!

That is the prefered method. No chin has received a broken rib from someone squeezing them while being picked up by the tail that I'm aware of...

hmm, interesting I just don't ever want to see mine as freaked out as those two were, it also didn't look like she had them by the base, just the middle of their tail. Thanks for the responses, good to know!

The dangerous thing about the tail is if you grab them at the tip or something and accidentally rip it off. But as long as it's the base, it's a safe method.
I had a friend as a kid who picked her chinchilla up by the tip of its tail and it was squirming so much that it kinda swung around and severed more than half of its tail. I don't know if that's a lesson on not letting 8 year-olds own chinchillas, knowing how to pick up a chinchilla properly, or both.

Chins are groomed for shows by holding them by their tails. The show animals get used to it. I find that my pets are a little horrified by the experience, but I do it only when I have to.

I hold my chinns by the base of their tail to calm them when the get to spazzy. Doesn't bother them a bit. :)

i thought chins could skin slip if their tail is grabbed, similar to a gerbil(had a gerbil actually do this, it was terrifying,also i understand that this doesn't happen if the base is held, only in the middle or the end)

The dangerous thing about the tail is if you grab them at the tip or something and accidentally rip it off. But as long as it's the base, it's a safe method.
I had a friend as a kid who picked her chinchilla up by the tip of its tail and it was squirming so much that it kinda swung around and severed more than half of its tail. I don't know if that's a lesson on not letting 8 year-olds own chinchillas, knowing how to pick up a chinchilla properly, or both.

Both! ;)

I pick my chinchillas up by the vase of the tail. Usually the only way I can catch them. I try not to pick Eleanor up this way, or rather pick her up at all because she's a biter. But Rigby is fine with it. He's fine with it.

Latest posts

Back