I just saw something I thought i never would have seen! :| help?!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bianca

Ok.. so i know that my chinchilla is a little upset still because of his brothers recent death.
i decided that i'd go play with him and sit by his cage and such..

however.. i went to his cage and saw him sitting there.. um..
he was sitting there with his genital in his mouth. he was sucking it.

im not joking. i didnt even believe my eyes, so i went back upstairs and went back down to his cage and he was still doing it!

soo many questions!

why? is this normal? what?!!
does your chinchilla do this?!!

Totally normal. He's cleaning himself like a dog would, and yeah, having a little fun too ;) it's normal, don't worry too much about it. And yes, both of my boys do it.

lol k thanks everyone! haha i have just never seen him do it:p but i guess its the first time i was actually there.

Ah yes, I was very surprised the first time I saw it as well but as everyone's said, very normal but it also could be a sign of a hair ring that he can't get off himself and that is where you come in. If he's an adult chin, you should be doing once a month hair ring checks on him.

It's normal and it's a little gross. You just have to give them some space. Every now and then I see it and sort of run away. ick...

They always wait for people to come over to do it. Sometimes that means that they are more inclined to adopt girls....

I'm probably the weird one here, but if I catch either of our boys doing it, I actually watch - if I can tell there's no hair ring, then they're all set for another month! :thumbsup:

hhaha!! it was so disturbing! lmao!
i cant get the vision out of my head!! hahah.

but thanks everyone!! at least i know he's behaving normally!

Yup yup! Very normal. Lol I'm lucky, only one of my boys is an exhibitionist, the other two are a little more... private about their boy time. And none of them have seen fit to um.. "clean" themselves while the bf is over. He might get a little weirded out... haha

Not sure how often, mine just does it whenever. Usually I catch them a few times a week doing it but they probably do it more and I just don't see it lol.

I've noticed that Pepper sometimes "cleans" himself after waking up. ~_~;
Filbert, on the other hand, I've never seen doing that. Ever. Maybe he does when I'm not around........ who knows. At least he has some decency. : P

I'm probably the weird one here, but if I catch either of our boys doing it, I actually watch - if I can tell there's no hair ring, then they're all set for another month! :thumbsup:

Ditto to all of the above! So you're not alone :thumbsup:

Back