I feel horrible and guilty...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emily222

Hi, I am new to the board. I am hoping to get some advice. I own 4 males chinchillas. I love my chins a lot but when I got them I was told they are hypoallergenic. I've been getting really bad sinus infections the past few years since I got them. Its gotten to the point where I have to have someone else bathe them for me and clean the cage after their baths. So, they only get dust once a week. I really dont play with them anymore. I pet them through the cage and let them sit on my lap and shoulders about once a week but them my arms, hand and neck get really itchy and burn. I feel horrible that they arent getting the love and attention they deserve. I try to buy them lots of toys and new fleece to keep them happy and busy but I cant help but feel that everyone is losing out in this situation. I want them to be happy. My heart hurts to even think about not having them in my life anymore. One in particular I have bonded with dearly. I've thought about reducing my chins to just 1 or 2 hoping that it wont be as severe on my allergies. Ive gotten over my allergies to cats but I cant seem to fight this one. I guess I am looking for a bit of advise on what I should do.

I have allergy-induced asthma. I use an inhaler and take allergy medicine when needed. I use a face mask when I dust them and sometimes latex gloves (when I deep clean with vinegar/water) when I clean their cages. I have 9 boys and don't do playtime as often as I used to but I have wheels and lots of wood toys for them in their cages. What you're doing now, IMO, is ok and you could try the mask & gloves when dusting them & cleaning their cages and see how that goes.

I also have allergy induced asthma.

I did cut dust baths down quite a bit. I only dust about 2 times a month, unless its show season. The chins do fine, and manage. I wear a mask when I dust. I also wear a mask when I clean cages. It cuts down on my asthma issues quite a bit.

If it works for you, and your doctor is willing to prescribe it singular has done wonders for me. I also take an otc allergra on cleaning/dusting days.

Your kids are fine with what you are doing. Those of us with allergies and asthma can still enjoy our babies! My biggest suggestion is if they are in your bedroom, consider moving them to a different room. Preferably their own room as it will keep the dust and allergens to a minimum.

I have chronic sinus issues ( probably due to the chins ) and have had surgery due to it. I mask when I sweep, when I dust, when I clean... basically unless I'm just feeding, or just grooming and taking pics, I have a mask on. I dust weekly with no issues, if it's really humid I dust twice a week. I dusted a couple without a mask tonight and I can tell..
I'm on veramist because if I don't have a steroid I get the worst headaches, when ( notice I don't say if... ) it stops working I'll probably have to do CT scan again and possibly more surgery... until the doctor tells me my body can't handle it anymore... I'll keep going.

I have sinus issues, primarily related to the seasons (fall is worst) but I don't take chances - I dust and clean with a mask and only dust once a week. I always try to run the ventilation while I dust as well and use gloves when I clean cages; they have their own wing in the house right now but I think things may improve when I move them back to their building too (better ventilation).

I don't think my sinus issues are related to the chinchillas but I can't say for sure so I just take precautions.

Is there a way you can get tested to see if it's the dust or hay you're allergic to?
If it's the dust, you can try corn starch.
I'm allergic to hay. When I touch hay for a long periods of time (breaking down the bales into storage) I break out very bad. Even smelling the hay can giving me a runny nose and wake up to chest pains.

Can you hold them in fleece blankets so you don't break out? I know it's not ideal, but fleece blankets and gloves could help you to at least give them some physical attention. I don't think you're in any way mistreating your chins. As long as they're healthy and you're doing everything you can to keep them happy, you're fine. There's no reason to feel as though you have to reduce your number of chins, but if you must rehome, rehome to someone you trust.

I no how u feel Em. Iv had basic allergies all my life. But when i got injuried at work (which left me disabled the last 3 years) my immune system went down hill in a big way. It also made me vunerable to 'smoke allergies'. Since all allergies are protien based, and smoke allergies arnt, their not considered a real 'allergie'. For the same reason no medication will work for it. Smoke allergies weaking the immune system more, and leave you vulnerable to things your not even allergic to.

And i had 5 ferrets, and 5 chins here... so yea... iv had some bad days lol. Like 15+ rolls in less then 3 days bad. And you no your rly screwed when you become allergic to tissue/TP/napkins/hypo-allergenic tissues ect.

All of that into account, i can still manage with my (now) 3 ferrets and 5 chins, without much problems. Dust masks are must for me. I have them place strategicly through out my place so im never far away form one should i need it lol. And i use them for most everything from changing litter, feeding hay, cleaning off shelves,and sand baths.

I also got a vacuumable air filter with a uv thingy in front of my cages. The biggest issue is the dust baths. That sand can play **** with me. So i of course use the mask and i give them their sand at the end of the night. I put it in their cages and go into my room. Ill come out later to take the dust out and put it in a shopping bag and tie it up (i dont re-use) Iv found that jsut dumping it in the trash will allow it to still get in the air, so thats why i put it in a small bag and tie it. Ill crank up the air filter a notch for the night, and go back in my room and go to sleep. (or jsut stay in their till i do)

By the morning, if the filter is on medium, the air is pretty clear again. (not if its on low tho, atleast for mine)

I cant say this would be the same for every person, but i honestly didnt notice a change in severity of allergies from when i had 2 chins, or now, haveing 5 chins. So i now reducing chin numbers wouldnt rly help me out any.

have you tried playtime in a covered playpen. i have a playpen that i just put a fitted sheet over. they dust in there too, so the sheets keeps the dust mess down.

i also know a lot of people are allergic to their hay or their shavings. you could try hay cubes so the loose hay isnt scattered about and try fleece liners. if you dont already do those things. ;)

I'm allergic to dust, so I use a face mask and non-latex gloves (latex allergy as well). I also see my chiropractor seasonally to have him do a cranial adjustment, as that's what initially cured 7 years of chronic sinusitis. Aside from that, I use prescription nose spray and take some combo of Benadryl Allergy, Advil and Sudafed as needed. "As needed" roughly translates to once per week, weather dependent of course.

With the chronic sinusitis, I built up an immunity to a handful of the normal allergy treatments (Claritin, Zyrtec, Allegra, etc.), but they worked wonders beforehand. I was rather surprised to find that the Benadryl worked as well as it did, so if you're going to try anything, that would be my first recommendation.

Good luck! Allergies are the worst!

Allergies suck! I'm allergic to the proteins in most animals. It took two years to get used to Chipper. And I never got used to the dust. I'm allergic to trees and grasses so the hay is not recommended to be in my house. I ignore it. The dust is my biggest concern.

The smoke allergy mentioned by GodofGods? That's an asthma thing and I'm very familiar with that. I've watched my mother for years avoiding smoke, dust, pollens, perfumes, cleaning products and the list goes on. Fine particulates will collect in the lungs and cause mucus and swelling that makes it difficult to breath. Your chest feels heavy and immobile until the body processes or expells the particulates - if it can. This is not an allergy, it's a smothering and your body is working way harder than it should to expell the invader choking it. Give it some help by putting a barrier between it and the dust. When I'm not reacting to any other allergens I can handle the dust better. I said better, not just handle. Even healthy people should wear a mask when that dust is being used. It's not an allergen, it's a solid being inhaled and not expelled. Think of what it does in the chins fur. It sifts in and sticks to oils and other particles it finds there. What's it doing in your lungs? Sticking to the moisture it finds there and clumping, leaving you feeling like you're reacting to an allergen. My recommendation? Don't inhale that.

Now I sound like I'm telling a chin not to eat something because even I don't always wear a mask to dust my chins even though I should. I don't know how to say it any other way, though. The dust is as fine as it is so it will do what the chin needs it to do. That doesn't mean it's healthy for humans. It may not be toxic but neither is water and we all know what that does if just a little bit gets into the lungs. Nuff said.

Off my soapbox. Enjoy your chins. Just be aware of your health and what you react to and take care of you so you can take care of them.

Back