How to treat rats with mites?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovinTheSmallAndFurry

Both of my rats have mites. I took them to the vet a couple weeks ago and was given an injection of ivermectin (sp?), and that was only to last a week until I saw her again. It helped, and we've been changing their bedding, but they still have them...although not to the degree that they did previously.

Is there any over-the-counter med anyone would recommend that I could purchase at a petstore? I'd rather not have to take them to the vet for every dose of whatever kills the mites, but I will if there's no alternative.

I have found that Revolution works much better on mites and lice and only one dose is needed. You still need to get it from the vet.

There is no reason that the ivermectin has to be given via injection. Most people in the rat community dose ivermectin orally. It still has to be given once a week for 3 - 4 weeks, but the vet should be able to send you home with the appropriate dosage. You will want to be sure that you don't overdose, ivermectin is a neurotoxin and the result of an overdose is not pretty.

I was warned by a couple vets that Revolution is not safe to use and they don't recommend it. Apparently there had been animals dying from it. I know that tons of people use it, so that must not be the case on a large scale, but it bothered me enough that I don't use it. I know that when I applied it to a few rats years ago, they became lethargic and it really scared me.

I use oral apple flavored Ivermectin. As Meanie said, you have to use it for 3-4 weeks, once a week, but it has cleared up my rats nicely when they used it.

I was warned by a couple vets that Revolution is not safe to use and they don't recommend it. Apparently there had been animals dying from it. I know that tons of people use it, so that must not be the case on a large scale, but it bothered me enough that I don't use it. I know that when I applied it to a few rats years ago, they became lethargic and it really scared me.

I use oral apple flavored Ivermectin. As Meanie said, you have to use it for 3-4 weeks, once a week, but it has cleared up my rats nicely when they used it.

I read a lot of bad things regarding the Revolution as well.

As for the Ivermectin, that can only be purchased from my vet, correct?

I've used Revo on rats before as I keep it on hand for my cats, just out of curiosity is the warning just on using it on rats, or all animals?

I was warned against all animals. I was told that it had caused dog and cat deaths that were not being properly reported. I was told not to use it on any animal, and I haven't.

This is outdated, but this is one of the supposed Revolution deaths:

http://www.doglogic.com/revolution.htm

I have heard a few stories about it off an on, of dogs showing up with what appears to be some sort of toxic poisoning and have been using Revolution. It is believed to be caused by the pesticides present in Revolution.

We have used Ivermectin to treat mites in rats and other small mammals with success.

I was warned against all animals. I was told that it had caused dog and cat deaths that were not being properly reported. I was told not to use it on any animal, and I haven't.
We've used it on hundreds of small animals (rats and guinea pigs) without any problems.

Back