How to tell if Chin is pregnant or has mated

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Takuraktty

Just curious is there anyway to tell if your chin has mated besides finding a plug? What if you can tell the female is in estrus (Her vaginal opening is open not closed), and when you check you see a clear like fluid in it?

Just like people and other creatures there can be mating and no resulting pregnancy. Like you were told in other threads you know a chinchilla is pregnant when you find kits. There will be weight gain and elongated nipples later on but not immediatly after a mating. It sounds like this is something you are looking directly at....I thought you were not breeding yet..... Something you need to learn is when you are attempting to breed messing with the females all the time trying to establish if they are pregnant or not can cause issues.

Okay, how are they contradicting? I plan on breeding chins but am not at the moment, I want to learn everything I can before I begin breeding. I only have three males at the moment.

You do not have the ability to delete or close any threads besides your own classified threads. Only moderators and administrators have that ability.

You shouldn't have to worry about being bashed if you are indeed telling the truth.

There is a lot of information on this forum, and many of your basic breeding questions have already been answered somewhere. Try using the Search function located in the upper right of the forum, next to the New Posts. It would also be a good idea for you to get a mentor and attend some chin shows. You can learn a lot about breeding there, and learn what to look for in quality of desirable chins.

Okay thanks Stackie, and yeah I am telling the truth. I'll try searching, I didn't see that before. I doubt though that anyone wants to take me as a mentee

I plan on attending the 2011 show in PA to learn more, I might get a female chin there (if I'm ready).

I was not intending to bash..this just seemed like a question you asked before..and the description you gave sounded like you were looking at an open female with fluid....What comes down to breeding is they mate when they mate and you know they mated sucessfully because they have kits....Any and All females that have been near a male should be treated as though they are pregnant.

Also these same questioned have been answered sooo many times. If you did a search or read through the breeding and babies section I am sure you would find most of the answers

Sure way to tell if she is pregnant..

I am addressing this to the original poster. I am not sure if you have already gotten an answer to this but I was about to post but seen this and couldnt resist.

Some people will tell you dont touch the mother be very careful etc in the beginning after she has mated, HOWEVER, there IS a surefire way to tell if there are babies, and in my experience, but only in 7 years here, I have been able to tell with all of my breeders except for 2 how MANY to expect. It has helped many times.

Obviously the plug is the ideal thing to find that gives you a heads up but it doesnt mean shes pregnant. If they sucessfully bred and fertilized an egg or two does not DEPEND on seeing a plug or does it guarentee anything, although most of the time in general you can be optimistic that she is probably pregnant or will be.

Anyways, I was shown a way to "palpate" or feel out for the babies. I was also shown other ways to tell but they are not ways that just anyone should go and do you need to know what your doing.

You do have to be gentle with her. If you have an idea of when she has mated, even a general idea, if she is pregnant, IN MY EXPERIENCE, I have always known by the 6th week at latest. You GENTLEY pick her up like you normally do. Hold her against your chest, or you can make a harness of sorts with your hands and cup her so her tummy is covered with your hands where her belly will be right on your palm. Using both of my thumbs, I VERY slowley ( and I close my eyes when I do this and concentrate on only what I am feeling.).

I start with my thumbs and place them at the base f where each lef joins on the lower abdomen, following the natural formation of her stomach. You gently apply pressure, and you basically massage them. You feel in certain places, and do not mistake a kidney spleen or other organ on the left uterine horn for a baby which is many times mistaken. In my experience, with my breeders, at this early stage in pregnancy, if they take, I will always find what is just s round and as big as a marble and it will connect to another one. You CAN easily feel which ones are connected and are not, without causing her ANY HARM AT ALL, and it takes a LOT of practice you do not ever press more thanyou normally would say if you were massaging her normally ( I massage their backs and chests a lot from the time they are born, they love it.) These have ALWAYS been in the same place, but different sides obviously depending on the female and which horn she is pregnant in, sometimes both will have what feels like "4 marbles" but it is two babies in one horn. I have identified twins, the third time I ever breed, I knew it from the first month because I noticed only three marbles, not 4, in the same tube. At birth what came out were and still are identical MALE and a FEMALE who shared a placenta. Only one placenta came out when they were born, and they followed each other within seconds. Both I have kept, and although now that the female has had some babies and looks different as she is a BIT bigger than her brother, they are the same otherwise physically, and I knew this because you will feel it.

It will be low at this time, sitting RIGHT ABOVE where the "cone" is tht she pees from. You will also experience, or I have, initially after sucessful fertilization, a change in her cervical mucous, either she will produce what seems l;ike she is in heat and she isnt, or she may completely close up, but if you pay attention closley, you will notice a difference, but the best way has been feeling, by far.

I am not sure what the above replies werre if someone already suggested this sorry about that! I also know that there may be people who read on the internet and probably picture this as squeezing or are getting ready maybe to tell me I am crazy, but for me this has been a tried and true method.

I have lost babies like anyone else who breeds, but if you do this right, you will find this and SWABBING are also ways that ranchers, vets, and long time breeders do to ensure pregnancy.

I have never swabbed and am not interested in the practice. I see no benefit when this can all be done like a massage. It litteraly feels like a few marbles. Then, in a month, you might think you imagined them, because the fetus is changing shape and may seem to not be there. It will move, go up and down, and eventually you will see it moving outside when mom is napping on her side when she gets ready.

I also want to note that although some people say a chinchilla normal pregnancy is 111 days or something like that, the best breeding couple I have had for five years, a couple who have produced EXCEPTIONAL babies and come from very very good genetics and backgrounds, it is totally normal for her to gestate for OVER 140 days. Yes the babies are huge when they are born. However, I also notice the mother gives birth within minutes and there is never any "extra" blood. All of the babies this particular mother has given birth to have been extra large to a degree you usually do not see in chinchillas, and she loves having babies around.

If you have any questions you can pm me but I hope that this may have helped you in whatever way

For someone who isn't experienced, and hasn't been show the correct way to palpate I absolutely do not recommend it. I have seen people kill babies without trying by their gentle palpating. I'm not saying this shouldn't be done by people who are knowledgable in the practice, and have a mentor who has shown them the correct way to do it without hurting the mother or the kits. This member has never had a pregnant female before and could very well kill a kit without trying.

For a sure fire way of knowing if a female is pregnant, wait 111 days (or in the case of the chinchilla above, 140) to see if she gives birth.

Yikes... I don't even know what to say.

Please be careful with pregnant females. You have to be so delicate because you can cause damage to the kits or cause miscarriage. I was told in the beginning by breeders with decades more experience to be so gentle with mother chins and not go mashing around feeling for kits. There is a way to gentle palpitate, but I would have to show someone in person because describing it in text may not be the best idea. Don't do it until someone shows you and even then don't do it...

And OP I do not recommend PMing the person who told you to palpate, this same person amputated a leg of a chin and is not a vet if that tells you something.

I have identified twins, the third time I ever breed, I knew it from the first month because I noticed only three marbles, not 4, in the same tube. At birth what came out were and still are identical MALE and a FEMALE who shared a placenta. Only one placenta came out when they were born, and they followed each other within seconds. Both I have kept, and although now that the female has had some babies and looks different as she is a BIT bigger than her brother, they are the same otherwise physically, and I knew this because you will feel it.

Just as an fyi, you can not have identical twins if one is male and female. Identical means they came from the same egg which split. So both would have to be either male or female, not one of each.

They may look similar, but they are not identical, it's biologically impossible.

Some people will tell you dont touch the mother be very careful etc in the beginning after she has mated, HOWEVER, there IS a surefire way to tell if there are babies, and in my experience, but only in 7 years here, I have been able to tell with all of my breeders except for 2 how MANY to expect. It has helped many times.

Obviously the plug is the ideal thing to find that gives you a heads up but it doesnt mean shes pregnant. If they sucessfully bred and fertilized an egg or two does not DEPEND on seeing a plug or does it guarentee anything, although most of the time in general you can be optimistic that she is probably pregnant or will be.

Anyways, I was shown a way to "palpate" or feel out for the babies. I was also shown other ways to tell but they are not ways that just anyone should go and do you need to know what your doing.

You do have to be gentle with her. If you have an idea of when she has mated, even a general idea, if she is pregnant, IN MY EXPERIENCE, I have always known by the 6th week at latest. You GENTLEY pick her up like you normally do. Hold her against your chest, or you can make a harness of sorts with your hands and cup her so her tummy is covered with your hands where her belly will be right on your palm. Using both of my thumbs, I VERY slowley ( and I close my eyes when I do this and concentrate on only what I am feeling.).

I start with my thumbs and place them at the base f where each lef joins on the lower abdomen, following the natural formation of her stomach. You gently apply pressure, and you basically massage them. You feel in certain places, and do not mistake a kidney spleen or other organ on the left uterine horn for a baby which is many times mistaken. In my experience, with my breeders, at this early stage in pregnancy, if they take, I will always find what is just s round and as big as a marble and it will connect to another one. You CAN easily feel which ones are connected and are not, without causing her ANY HARM AT ALL, and it takes a LOT of practice you do not ever press more thanyou normally would say if you were massaging her normally ( I massage their backs and chests a lot from the time they are born, they love it.) These have ALWAYS been in the same place, but different sides obviously depending on the female and which horn she is pregnant in, sometimes both will have what feels like "4 marbles" but it is two babies in one horn. I have identified twins, the third time I ever breed, I knew it from the first month because I noticed only three marbles, not 4, in the same tube. At birth what came out were and still are identical MALE and a FEMALE who shared a placenta. Only one placenta came out when they were born, and they followed each other within seconds. Both I have kept, and although now that the female has had some babies and looks different as she is a BIT bigger than her brother, they are the same otherwise physically, and I knew this because you will feel it.

It will be low at this time, sitting RIGHT ABOVE where the "cone" is tht she pees from. You will also experience, or I have, initially after sucessful fertilization, a change in her cervical mucous, either she will produce what seems l;ike she is in heat and she isnt, or she may completely close up, but if you pay attention closley, you will notice a difference, but the best way has been feeling, by far.

I am not sure what the above replies werre if someone already suggested this sorry about that! I also know that there may be people who read on the internet and probably picture this as squeezing or are getting ready maybe to tell me I am crazy, but for me this has been a tried and true method.

I have lost babies like anyone else who breeds, but if you do this right, you will find this and SWABBING are also ways that ranchers, vets, and long time breeders do to ensure pregnancy.

I have never swabbed and am not interested in the practice. I see no benefit when this can all be done like a massage. It litteraly feels like a few marbles. Then, in a month, you might think you imagined them, because the fetus is changing shape and may seem to not be there. It will move, go up and down, and eventually you will see it moving outside when mom is napping on her side when she gets ready.
Most of this post is complete & utter cobblers, factually incorrect, as well as being down-right dangerous advice to be giving on a forum to inexperienced people - examining females for signs of pregnancy &/or swabbing techniques should be taught in person by experienced, knowledgeable chinchilla breeders.

I don't know of any long time breeders here who palpate their chins for pregnancy - there's no need - just watch & wait. Its easier, less stressful on the female, & is (most importantly) not harmful.

I also want to note that although some people say a chinchilla normal pregnancy is 111 days or something like that, the best breeding couple I have had for five years, a couple who have produced EXCEPTIONAL babies and come from very very good genetics and backgrounds, it is totally normal for her to gestate for OVER 140 days. Yes the babies are huge when they are born. However, I also notice the mother gives birth within minutes and there is never any "extra" blood. All of the babies this particular mother has given birth to have been extra large to a degree you usually do not see in chinchillas, and she loves having babies around.

If you have any questions you can pm me but I hope that this may have helped you in whatever way
Also cobblers.
The average gestation period is 111 days, give or take a few. Not give or take 29! What were the weights of her litters?
It is far more probable that the female did not conceive (or conceived & then aborted due to all the poking about you do) & went into oestrus 28 (or so) days later, was mated & conceived then.

I'll echo Nikki's post - no-one should attempt to palpate a chin unless they have been taught by someone who knows what they are feeling for & has considerable experience & knowledge in breeding chins. As I said above, most breeders don't actually do it anyway.

Also cobblers.

i love that saying........must be a UK thing! made me chuckle.

Taukura--i know you said you were not breeding yet & just gathering info. put palpatating a female on your list of things NOT to do.

it is totally normal for her to gestate for OVER 140 days.

First chopping off a leg at home and now this?? Either you don't know how to count or you are not breeding chinchillas, but some other species and are confused. NO CHINCHILLA EVER SHOULD CARRY FOR 140 DAYS. Ever, ever, ever, ever, ever. I can't put it any plainer than that.

Why do people constantly ask this question - how can I tell if my female is pregnant? Here's how it works. You put a male and a female together. From the moment they get together, you ASSUME the female is carrying a litter of kits, you put her in a baby safe cage, and you leave her the heck alone. When you see kits running around in the cage, you will absolutely, without any doubt, need for palpation, ultrasound, or any other hocus pocus, know that she was pregnant. It really IS that simple.

You don't listen to someone on an internet forum try and explain to you how to palpate, when they obviously have ZERO grasp of anything chinchilla, from genetics to veterinary care. I might as well sit down and type out how to remove a tumor from a human brain. I'm sure you'll be able to follow it from my simple directions. Oye.

Back