How to know if your cage liner is fleece?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plstwd

Hi, I have tons of blankets all throughout my house but I have no idea what they're made out of. They don't have tags. Is there anyway I can tell if it's fleece? I really don't want to have to buy fleece cage liners because they're very very expensive and they take about 2 weeks to actually get in. I also bought a ferret hammock thinking it was fleece but it was cotton. I read somewhere cotton is bad? Should I return it or is it fine?

Fleece is the only chin safe fabric, and only safe as long as the chin doesn't chew/eat it. Fleece doesn't unravel or shred (no threads) like other fabrics so you can generally take it away before they eat too much to cause a issue. So the cotton hammock is not safe, the hammock needs to be all fleece, even the straps, the hooks can be metal of course.
As to how to tell, you can try going to a store that sells blankets and see what fleece looks like, but if the blankets you have have no tags there is no way to tell 100% if they are blended with anything. You're better off buying fleece at a fabric store, you want polar/arctic/blizzard (it goes by many names) or anti-pill fleece to be more specific. Micro fleece is going to be too thin, and the comfy, minky/cuddle, or fuzzy fleeces tend to have fluff on them that the chins are going to be tempted to eat.

Back