How to get rid of flies - moquito's?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormcrow

First of all, a little description of the circumstances of how I live.
I live in an appartment together with my GF, 2 guinea pigs and 2 chins. Both the chins and guinea pigs have their cage standin in the living room, eac on one side of the room.

Next to odor control (especially from the guinea pigs since our chins hardly produce any smell) our biggest problem in the summertime are flies and mosquito's. Flies obviously are attracted by the odor of the used shavings of the guinea pigs (changed twice a week) and the mosquito's just harass uss.

Normally we use these little electrical things that you plug in with a blue tablet in them, so the odor/chemical they spread kills all these insects.
We read however that these are harmfull fro the guinea pigs, so we didn't use them a few years now.

We have tons of flycatchers, but ofcourse they don't really improve the estethics of the room :D

Since I got tired of running around like a madmen waving a towel or sneaking up on them like a ninja, I wondered how you guys handle this problem, or if you know a remedy that works and can be used around the little critters

Back