how much?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peanutbutter15

ok so I'm getting a chinchilla in a few months:dance3: and I don't know how much food to feed them.:confused: I've googled it a few times and couldn't get 1 straight answer. I know you all know more about chinchilllas then me so I just want to know how much to feed them.:thanks3:

Mine all have bowls full of food at all times as well as hay cubes and loose hay alternating days. they very rarely get treats

I dump the left-over pellets every evening and refill the bowl. Pellets are fairly cheap and my girls are picky. Every chin is different. You could fill the bowl and then see what is leftover the next day so you have less waste but I find my girls eat different amounts from day to day so I gave up trying to figure it out too much :)).

I have one that eats an entire 10 oz bowl a day and two that eat a few tablespoons a day. But they all are in healthy weight ranges, so I am guessing it depends on the chin on how much they eat. I just fill up the dishes every morning and empty what is left at night.

You could also try weighing the food dish and food when you feed them and then weighing again at the end of the day, to see how much they are eating. I have found this can be a good way of keeping track of eating habits and weight gain/losses.

Back