how much playtime

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaeway

Scurries!!!
My boys have had the amount of playtime cut back from every day to about 4-5 times a week. They seem to be fine. They do get a little worked up so I usually put the dust baths in their cages for about 30 minutes when I'm not letting them out. My question is this, how long can a chin go with out playtime before there are health issues? I panic if I cant get them out for 3 days in a row. Also I leave for a week every December to go back to Texas. My chin sitter is terrified of letting them out. He thinks he'll never catch them. (Moche and Syd are turds. They LOVE to play the you cant catch me game:hair:) He feeds them and pets them and gives them their bathtime, but no play time during that week...When I get back they are so wound up and just bounce for first half of playtime. I haven't noticed any poo issues but I want a few opinions. Ive checked around and it seems to vary. What do all of you think?

They will be fine for a week with no playtime. Maybe just get them a wheel if you dont already have one. I get my chins out for playtime everyother day for about an hour. They are fine. When they know it's there day to get out they will let you know but chewing on the door of the cage and going nuts. I personally wouldnt let someone not experienced with chins get them out because with these guys anything can happen.

As much as I worry about them not being out, I am afraid that Murphys law will kick in and who knows. Sometimes they drive me crazy with their little games. I cant imagine the hopelessness and the frustration of someone not accustomed to dealing with them!!

Maybe you can prep them before then and cut back their play days leading up to the week you are gone. When you take them out, make it a long (but not exhausting playtime) and when you don't, do what your sitter will do (maybe have them come over a couple days before you leave, too). That way, when you are gone it won't be such a change and when you get back they can have an awesome playtime. Just a thought.

It would probably be safer for everyone if they stayed in the cage for the week you are gone. It won't hurt their health - your cages are large enough for them to bounce and get enough running in. The problem is that they will be mad at you for being gone. You know, they will be mad at you for being gone regardless of if they are given playtime while you are gone or not.

Your boys have made up their own rules about everything. I still don't know how Syd got to be so bad. He was a pretty good little boy when he was here...or at least I thought he was.

Your boys have made up their own rules about everything. I still don't know how Syd got to be so bad. He was a pretty good little boy when he was here...or at least I thought he was.

:hilarious::rofl: My boys have a lot of what I call personality. They all keep me guessing. But I love them dearly. And Syd is a good boy. He loves scratches and being held, well until he tries to escape and get on top of Moche's cage. He is starting to mellow out. I'm hoping he and Shadow will get along soon. They only sniff each other now. No more kecking noises. :thumbsup:

Although I Shadow is just truamatized from an early life experince since I still cant touch him much with out him freaking out and hiding.

They'll be fine for a bit. My boys go a week in December without playtime and they do fine. Though, I have to be home for Christmas this year :(

I'm in Phoenix also. Let me know if you need anything :)

Latest posts

Back