how much food do you give your chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peanutbutter15

I didn't know where to post this so I put it here because it kind of has to do with food. So how much food do you give your chin and how much of it do they eat.

I free feed everyone. They get their feeders filled up daily, and it probably holds 3/4 cup? It's one scoop if that means anything, lol. Some eat it all, some don't. I've never understood where people get this chins should have 2 tablespoons, etc. Chins will not over eat, so why limit them? Eating helps keep their belly moving.

All my chins get 3 tablespoons of pellets daily. I also give them 1/2 tsp of organic supplement. Once a week they get oats and herbal supplement.

I free feed mine - fill their bowl every night. Sometimes they eat it all & sometimes there is a little left!

I free feed mine as well. I don't know how much I give them, but they never eat it all. I would rather them have too much than not enough.

I free feed mine. They get full feeders nightly.

I free feed mine as well. chinchillas should not be limited in feeding. If I see an empty bowl at any time during the day I will fill it as well as at my usual feeding time

I free feed mine. I didn't use to. But after learning that it's best, they get all the food they want! I put about a quarter cup in each bowl at night. But if I see they're running low at any point in the day, they get more! Of course they get all of the hay and water they want.

Ditto to everyone who has mentioned the free feeding. I do that as well but if I had to guess I give them about 1/4 of a cup everyday which is equivelent to 4 tablespoons. They usually don't eat it all so I just fill their dish almost all the way up because for some reason if I fill it all the way up they all like to knock 'em over. Little stinks, lol.

Last edited:
I use to free feed but Watson has gotten into the habit as of late of peeing in both his hay and pellet bowls. Filling up each bowl only to have him pee in them is a waste so every morning and evening I give him 2 tbsp, if it's been peed on then I dump it out, wash the bowl and refill.

I also free feed, pretty much just fill the bowl up everynight along with their hay of course.

Hey Tati- did you try moving his bowl on a shelf or different spot? You probably have, but thought I would ask..

Hey Tati- did you try moving his bowl on a shelf or different spot? You probably have, but thought I would ask..

I have not! He's only been in his FN for 2 weeks now and he just started peeing in his bowls within the past 5 days or so. Tonight when I get home I'll switch them to a different part of the cage and see if that does anything. Thanks for the suggestion! :thumbsup:

I free feed and give hay every day.

I always wondered why some of the breeders, whose chins are in the business of growing, nourishing and and birthing healthy chinchillas, were limited to a "scoop or some measured amount" of pellets per day.

Back