How many babies in 2011??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many kits in 2011?

• Total voters
I had 28 born this year which is exactly double what I had born in 2010 (14), which was my first year of breeding. Exactly hit my target! :)

We weaned 10 in 2011 and 17 in 2010. Since the market is so slow, everyone is separated and we may not have any born this year unless I can move some chins out! Very sad, but in 2 1/2 years hopefully i'll be able to go hog-wild.

61, which is the most I've had in a year, but I think is a wee bit low considering how much I expanded this year. I have a handful that didn't produce at all. I'm aiming for triple digits this year.

I had 2 babies born from 2 different 1st time moms. The year before I had 3. I am just happy having 1 to 3 a year.

28 in 2010 (not on Source), 45 in 2011 (back on Source). Not sure it was the seaweed that made the difference, but I am not complaining or changing anything! :)

I had 80 kits born - about 20 more than last year. I had 2 litters of 4 from the same mom (one litter in Jan., the other in Nov.) She had in both litters 3 mosaics (same sexes as before) and a standard gray female. She gets a LONG break this year.

I had 13 this year 2011
Unfortunately lost my white sapphire female and her sister white psc
the mosaic from a prolapse, had her see the vet but lost her
the white sapphire from a freak accident - broke her neck

very sad time for me

Last edited:
I had only 2 baby in 2011, hope i'll be able to get about 8 to 10 this year. Still on herd placement and breeder buying.
Slowly but surelyXD.

Had 19 born in 2010 (one killed, one stillborn, and one non-thriver) and 16 born this year (2 non-thrivers died and one stillborn mass not counted because Im not sure how many it was). That's a good number for my space so I will take it. I still have quite a few from the five litters I had in four weeks so I will keep some females separate until I show and move some of these kits.

I had 75 born in 2011 (about double last year), but I incorporated quite a bit more animals in my breeding herd this year. I had a total of 15 that didn't make it (which is a lot higher than the previous year). Half of the kits that didn't make it were out of the Somavia animals I purchased, so I attribute that to stress on the mother during the move and environmental changes.

I had four born in 2010 (from my breeding) I only breed once or twice a year.
I had seven born in 2011 but three of those came from a mother chin that I bought that was unknowingly pregnant and gave birth to triplets!
It was ALOT of work, and very worrisome. Kits kept fighting for milk, and I had to rotate out and handfeed, all of this with a new job.....but all three made it and thrived.
I was able to sell two of the babies, and I kept the third, ZEBRA, who is a gorgeous ebony white male with black polka dots on him.

We had 31 babies born in 2010 and 43 born in 2011. We are hoping for a similiar year this year. Most of our females are currently pregnant...so we'll see.

I had 82 kits born this year, a significant increase over the 52 kits born in 2010. I kept quite a few of my show kits from 2010 and got many first time litters this year. Due to that though I had an increase in leg/tail wounds to the kits for first time moms and my loss rate went up overall :-( I'm expecting that to even out more now that the moms are on their 2nd litters though.

Cheryl

In 2010 we had 90 born and 2011 we had 84 born. I don't know what caused use to have a slower year, especially since we did increase our numbers. However I will say we had a better kit survival rate in 2011, so I will take the fewer numbers for more of them to live. We recently expanded our herd by nearly 100 so I do expect 2012 to be a very productive year :)

We had 14 born in 2011, which is considerably mOre than the 3 kits we had born between 2008-2010. We swabbed the females late 2010 and that seemed to help. I think our numbers may be higher this year, as we're already up to b5 and it's still January. We only have 6 females in breeding so I wouldn't expect much higher numbers though.

Back