How long did it take you to tame your chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How long did it take for your chinchillas to trust you? (Multiple votes allowed)

• 1 week

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • 3 weeks

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • 1 month

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 2 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 months

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 4 months

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • 5 months

• 6 months

• 6 months - 1 year

• 1 year+

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

Sonia99

How long did it take for your chinchillas to be comfortable with you?

As in they come to you when you open the cage, are okay with you scratching/petting them, allow you (for the most part) to pick them up, etc.

(Multiple votes for if you have multiple chinchillas)

Last edited:
I have had Rocco and Beezy for 9 years, they were both under a year old when I got them, within the last 3-4 years they have become extremely tame, they come when called and are picked up off the floor, they jump on your lap to be petted, they will both fall asleep on my lap watching TV. Hannie I have had for 5 or so years, his age is unknown and this little nut was finally cracked a few months ago when he comes when called and is picked up and likes to nap in the crook of my arm.

It's hard to say a definite point, but it took me roughly 3 years to get Lucy completely comfortable around me. She would sit on my shoulder, came when her name was called too, and so much more:)
She didn't mind to be held, she was always excited when she saw me and would want to come out of her cage just to hop up on my shoulder.
It does take a while to figure out what kind of personality your chinnie has, but when you do, you'll be able to understand them even better! :)

I have owned my chinchillas since September, one was 10 weeks and the other was about 12 weeks when we got them. Chili, the younger one, was always eager and tame from the day we got him, so it didn't take long at all (probably like a few days) to get him to trust me. Rocket on the other hand still doesn't trust me entirely however is getting better, he doesn't like being picked up but usually will let me stroke him in the cage, it depends on his mood. He trusts me a lot more than he trusts me parents or anyone else, he doesn't ever let them stroke him.

Back