How Hott is Too Hott?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also on hotter days, even though my house stays nice and cool I rotate their dishes in and out of the freezer. I also have a hand full of chinchillers in the freezer at all times. Once this past winter, when it was sooooo chilly in my house (they were nice and happy:rolleyes: ) Stolie got a little pink in the ears just from a big playtime (he had new toys) and I just threw in the chinchillers. Nice to have on hand. :thumbs:

when my a/c failed last summer i lost a nursing mom to 75. the other chins were ok (not happy but ok) but she was under strain already nursing 2 kits and it was just to much for her to handle. what kills me is that i had picked up the replacement a/c the previous day and just did not get around to putting it in.

The ideal temperature for chins is between 55-65 degrees. I tell people not to let the temp go above 70.

Last summer RIGHT after 3 sets of kits were born, we had a tornado come through and we lost power for days. I had plenty of ceramics (bowls, plates, etc.) and flower pots in the freezer (I keep them there at all times), as well as frozen water bottles. The inside temp got around the mid 80s, and we luckily made it through without any deaths. I was even hand-feeding one of the kits, heating the formula over a candle.

I almost paniced the other day- it was about 70ish in the apartment, but didnt feel warm...( I usually keep the apartment around 60-65 ish). I was going to turn the AC back on, but ran out to the store, lost tract of time. I came home and gizmo just didnt look right. It was a bit warm in there, probably about 75 i would guess. His ears were very hot, red, and his body just felt warm. I of course freaked out, grabbed the chinchiller, and he layed and sat on it. THankfully within minutes he cooled right down and was back to his cute little normal self. I felt HORRIBLE, I almost cried lol. So it doesnt take much for them to get warm and its so important to act fast and to get them cold asap. I dont know what I would have done if i was any longer not being home! Now im even more of a freak about the AC lol.

In the winter my chin room is usually around 64f. In the summer I panic if it rises above 72F. My chins start to look a little uncomfortable above that. Alot depends on humidity too though. They don't fair well in humid conditions.

Back