How does your chin's day look like?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormcrow

Maybe a weird question, but I always heard (and allready experienced) that chins adapt fast to the habitats of their human co-inhabitants.
They allready seem to know what time I get home from work and when it's approx their time to shine :)

Ofcourse the way and times you handle your chins depends on working/school scheduals, social stuff and other things, i am just wondering how your chins day looks like...

7am: I get up, and they are semi-sleeping then. As soon as they hear some noise they get up to the doors, they get a scratch and a few handfed pellets, and they go back to sleep. I always check the water bottles, hay and pellet supply. I also check the cagedoors about 6 times before leaving :p Me and my GF get ready and off to work.

5pm: we get home from work, chins sleeping like a log

6pm: the household sounds start to wake them up a bit. They start to get active

6:30pm: around this time I give them their dustbath and they clean themselves. This is also the time of the day when I see them eat the most pellets (ofcourse at night they munch away a lot aswell). After about 20-30 mins I remover the bath.

8:00pm: this is usually the time when me and my GF go and sit in front of the cage and speak to them/handle them/give them attention. We usually do this for an hour or so.
Also when we stop with this, I put something nice in their cage to have fun with.
For example: i use a print/gluefree box and together with hay, sticks and sisal rope I make a house/construction they can explore and have fun with. These are always as safe as possible made, but I don't like them to be in it without supervision. Since they are in my living room, I can put the box in at this point and leave it in till i go to bed

12:00am: at this point I go to bed. before doing so I give them another half hour of attention. At this point they are the most active around me. After doing a last water/food check and removed the box, I go to bed.

Ofcourse this isn't a fix scedual, but this is how their regular day looks like.
I am wondering when would be the best time to give them playtime when they get older aswell. Do you think I give them enough attention during the day or would they require more? Usually I sit with them till they go to the upper part of the cage (away from me) and I take this as "enough for now please".

Curious to see how your chins get through the day!

M-F

5:00 am the chins are let out for playtime before they go to work
6:30 am chins are loaded into the carriers and are off to work
5:00 pm chins are loaded up and taken home and let loose for playtime
6:30 pm chins are reinstalled in cleaned up cages, given new chew sticks

Sat and Sun

6:00 am chins let out for playtime
7:00 am chins are loaded up into carriers for a 1.5 hour drive
8:30 am chins loaded into cages
7:00 pm chin playtime for a hour

I have a bit of a messy schedule in the week because of uni..
But this is usually how it goes:
6:30am: She gets some cuddles and usually falls asleep in my lap for a few minutes, I give her some food (atm syringe food and her meds)
7:30am: I make sure her cage is locked (sometimes I have to check twice- anyone else have that ocd??) and of I go to uni
5pm: I'm usually home about now and I give her some more syringe food and the second lot of her meds, give her a few scratches and cuggles she's a little lively now as she's been in a pretty quiet house all day!
6pm (If not at boyfriends or work) I sit in front of her cage doing uni work with the tele on and me talking
8pm: If I'm not at work she'll be ready to come out. she's fed. She's out for a few hours. atleast till 11pm and then she's fed again.

If I'm at work however it's completely different, and I think she's used to it now:
9am: (If no uni) she's fed and given meds, and cuddles.
12pm: She's fed again and given some attention.
4:30pm: She's fed again and attention and scratches.
11pm ( when I get back home from work) She's given food and the second lot of her meds. She's let out until 1am.
Bubbles is usually awake up until the early hours of the morning. Sometimes she's awake still when I get up and start getting ready for an early shift or uni! :)

7-8 I come down and say hi. Call Vincenza and she wanders out for a little scritch. Let Cinnamon sniff me.
8-8:30 my husband is on morning duty, tops up their water and food and gives them some sticks
5:30-6:00 they come out of tubes/houses and sleep on ledges a little bit (when I get home from work.)
6:00-8:00 still sleepy but moving around and eating
8:30- wide awake! Second feeding/watering/food/bathtime. I change Cinnamon's bedding twice a week. Hang out in front of the cages a little bit.

We only really do play time once or twice a week. Vincenza has a wheel so she stays pretty entertained. We need to get back on a more regular schedule :)

I have a terrible habit of falling asleep on the couch. I usually wake up to one staring at me before I go to bed. On the weekends they both tend to get up once or twice during the day to eat and drink a little before going back to sleep.

Cinnamon's pretty annoyed at a woodpecker right now. So she's been barking a lot during the day.

3pm - I wake up and check on her, she's usually asleep but will wake up to greet me. Sometimes she'll wake up to chew on her sticks, eat, run on her wheel.

12am - She's waking up and wanting to come out for play time. I clean her cage shortly after she's out running around and give her fresh food and water.

1-5am - Her playtime, going in and out of the cage periodically to eat, drink, rest, ect.

I really need to get on a better schedule and go to sleep eariler, 5:30am is so early.

7am: I start to get ready for work. Shelly runs up to me and says hello.
8am: check cages. Button says hello, Artie gives me a dirty look for waking her up.
9am: give all the girls fresh sticks. Button will always wake up and climb the bars for hers.
8 - 8:30pm: get home from work, Shelly is the first to greet me with chirps and kisses. Button follows shortly after. Artie gives me a dirty look for waking her up again.
9pm: eat dinner, pack lunch for the next day, pack my gym bag.
9:30pm: if I have the energy, the girls will come out to play. If not I'll toss their baths in the cages while I get ready for bed.
10pm: if playtime was not had, I crawl into bed with a book.
11pm: if playtime was had, I crawl into bed.
11:30pm: usually lights off. The second it is dark in the room, Shelly hits her wheel and starts running.
5am: Thunder Paws (Artie) hits her wheel.
5:15am: I put ear plugs in
5:30am: I turn the lights on, Artie stops running, I go back to sleep (with the lights on).
6:30am: My alarm goes off and we start a new day.

Saturday - Sunday:
Playtimes, baths and cage cleanings are a weekend event. The girls spend the day sleeping, eating, drinking and sleeping again.

7am my BF gets up for work-chins are sleeping
9am I get up (now that I'm done with classes for the semester)-chins sleeping
2pm I start getting ready for work-chins start to slowly wake up
3pm-before I leave for work giant handful of hay for the chins and new sticks (or old sticks that they threw out of the cage earlier, but they think they're new)
4-5pm BF comes home from work-more sticks for the spoiled boys, and water refresh
10pm I get home from work-more hay and scritches for at least 10 mins (they act as if I were gone for months, everyday. they also don't take scritches from my BF)
12am-bed time for me-another giant handful of hay and some pellets (they don't really like pellets, most of the bowl full will be on the floor in the morning)
They stay up until about 3 or 4, at least that's when I stop hearing them playing.
We do playtime a couple nights a week, depending on how messy they are. They know that if they pee on the fleece they get to come out, so they have started picking which days are play days. They also come out every Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.

8-10 tom(my bf goes to work (they bounce around abit)
10-2 is nap time. (sometimes for me too i have bad insomia sometimes)
3-6 tom comes home/im cleaning working/managing the cat/feeding the chins/cleaning their cage (chins are poking around a bit mainly eating)
7-10 dinnner /whatever/play with chins (chins go into hyper mode)
11-2 settle down for bed/whatever (chins are more calm but still active)
3-67 im asleep or wishing i was asleep. (theyre usualy eating /settling in/sleeping

iu kinda have a really loose schedule /lol they have more of a routine then me

7.30am - 8.30am: Wake up. Feed Kelly her CC. She's usually awake waiting for me. Other two usually sleeping, but Becky will wake up when she hears the racket Kelly makes for CC and wants some too so I would usually give her a few mouthfuls otherwise she will go a little nuts on me. Immediately followed by cleaning out the cages, refilling hay/pellets/water, sweeping up the poo and hay they've thrown at each other, sigh, the works.

9am - I leave for work, they sleep/eat the entire day

6.30 - 7.30pm - I get home (on a normal day) Kelly is again awake waiting for her CC. Rest sleeping. Feed Kelly, she takes a nap while I do dinner.

9.30 - 10pm - Kelly's 2nd feeding. All the chins are up, and if I'm not too busy, the chins get to come out 15mins each - that makes 45 mins. Becky usually a little longer 'cos otherwise she goes a little crazy on me too (bite bars, throw things, tries to pick a fight with Kelly in the next cage but obviously can't reach her) While rotating the chins for playtime, the two that stays in the cage gets a bit of alfafa so they are suitably distracted and not too jealous of the one that is out. Also replenishes the hay if it's run out (more for my hay guzzler Lancy)

Between 11.30am - 12mn - Kelly gets her last feeding and I check on all 3 chins and talk to them/scritch/pet them. Switches off the light in their room and they start annoying one another.

6:00am: I wake up and check on the boys, tidy their cages and give them a bit of a scratch and sticks
12:00: I get home from the horse stables and pop into the chin room to see everyone, give Silver Chin a scratch untill he gets grumpy angry face and pushes me away
6:00pm: Give the chins dinner hay and a few sticks
8:00pm: Playtime and cage cleaning time
11:00pm Lights out and music on for the boys while I sleep :)

5am-wife gets up to make coffee and usually finds them starting to calm down and snooze, so gives them scritches and a bit of shredded wheat.
6:30am-we usually leave for work, but talk to them and give them a bit of attention as we prepare to leave.
6-6:30pm-We get home to find them all at their cage doors. Staring at us. Silently.
6:30-8pm-Shift 1 chinchillas get to run around and play. That consists of one bonded pair in one room, with our solo chin in a room with one or the other of us.
8-9:30pm-Shift 2 chinchillas get to run around and play.
9:30-11pm-Shift 3 chinchillas get to run around and play. Then we go to bed and they take full advantage of their wheels and shelves.

Week-ends are about the same, only we get to sleep in and they usually get longer outside the cage play times.

Our days will be so much easier when/if we can get at least two of the bonded pairs and/or the solo chin to get along with each other.

she sleeps all day :)

she comes out for a half hour or so between 2-4 for a snack

she sleeps again until 8-9 in the afternoun

she plays and snacks until she sleeps again at midnight

Back