How do I track down a Chin's family line?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liewwan

So I recently came into contact from my girls breeder :hug2:
I found out a lot more about their parents. The father is a homo ebony and the mom still just a mosaic. What brings the kicker is the mom came from a breeder in St Cloud, MN and Mama (the chin's name) is also tagged. I did ask if they can give me a copy of the papers that came with Mama and she will look it up since they kept it in a safe place. So my main question, with the tag and also the papers, how can I track down where my girls blood line came from. It brings such a high curiosity having the opportunity to find more out on heath and behavior of their parents, grand parents and so forth.

If they have a full pedigree on Mama it will likely only show five generations back. It will likely only have ranch brands and numbers on it and may or may not have colors listed on it and any awards the chins won if they were shown. Honestly, if you have never seen a pedigree before it probably won't make much sense to you. Once you get a copy you can post it here and we can help you if you don't understand it. You can also try to look up the ranch brands yourself - I think Riven has a pretty complete listing of ranch brands on her website.

You won't get any behavioral information out of looking at a pedigree - You could get health information with info provided on a pedigree, but you would have to contact every single rancher/breeder listed and assuming they still had those chins (ie they didnt sell, pelt, or the animal didnt die) they could tell you if there were any known health issues. Not sure how much good it would do you since you wouldn't have a paternal pedigree, and even knowing all chins in both lines had no known health problems wouldn't guarantee a disease free future for yours....

From what the breeder told me, the paper contains a bunch of numbers. I will post it up once I get my hands on a copy of that.
My understanding is both Papa and Mama came from the same exact breeder. Knowing myself I'll be more than happy to make calls to track down the health history. Yeah future illness is unpredictable, but knowing anything from the past always a just in case.

Keep in mind, depending upon the breeder, most will tell you to check with the person who sold you the chin. Some bigger breeders have historically only put sire and dam on the pedigrees and some will put the grand sire & grand dam on pedigrees. I've requested from a known breeder who I know personal for info on an animal I purchased from another breeder with the original breeders ear tag in the animal and they would not give me any info on the animal - just told me to go back to the source of my purchase.

Good luck!

Ronda

It's too bad there is not some online registry for chins, where you could look up a number and find all this information out for it's bloodline. That would be pretty cool.

Thanks Rhonda, I'll keep that in mind. Overall the breeder I got it from is really nice about giving me the information on as much as they know. I told them how the girls are doing now and swap stories when they were babies and now adults. Of course half of their odd behavior actually comes from the mom too. I'm just overall happy I have them. However I'm still afraid of the future side effects of major plastic chewing when the breeder's little sister's had them prior to me.

I agree Sovay. It's just interest me to know the family line.

Back