How did you dispose of your dead animal(s)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How did/would you dispose of your animal's dead body?

• Use vet services to dispose of it

Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Bury them on my property

Votes: 109 62.6%
  • Cremate them and keep the ashes (or scatter them)

Votes: 44 25.3%
  • Bury them at a pet cemetery

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other- please explain

Votes: 12 6.9%

• Total voters

cuddlycuddles

chinchilla freak
I apologize for bringing up this morbid topic, but because none of our animals are likely to live forever, I would like to know what are some of the options of disposing their bodies after they die. If you've lost an animal before, what have you done to dispose of their body? Were you OK with your choice afterwards?
I know that some vets offer disposal services and some people bury their animals on their property. And some people take their dead animals to pet cemeteries or cremate them and keep the ashes.
What have/would you choose and why? Thank you all for answering.

I have always just buried my animals on my property. We have our own little pet cemetary. LOL.

we live in the country and have acreage so most of our animals have been buried.We have also cremated two of our dogs through vet's office.We laugh about having it in our will as far as which pet's ashes go with which person! I was blessed enough to know about a program in our area where a local business will come out and bury large animals for a donation to the local therapeutic riding program.It was a huge relief to be able to have my lifelong dream horse Bobby buried here on our property and not have to call "rendering truck" to haul his body away.

I get my animals cremated. I would bury them if I knew I was going to be at this house forever but the thought of possibly leaving them behind makes me sad.

I have Scooter, my guinea pig, buried under the evergreen in my side yard. When Trixie passes on, she will go next to Scooter. I had a friend on another forum share this with me..if you do bury a pet on your property, and then move, scoop up a small amount of soil from the grave into a vial, then re-bury it at your new place. It will be like bringing a piece of your lost friend with you.

We live on 5 acres and are animals have always been buried in a special spot on the property. I keep them all close by.

I just hope Steven King's, Pet Cemetary, never happens here!!! lol

i have only had dogs pass away and since my golden was 110 lbs & he died during the winter & the ground was too hard to bury I had him cremated. i still have his ashes.
i think i would do the same with my dog i have now, since she is about 80lbs.
when my chinnies or guinea die, they will likely be buried since their size is more condusive to burying. i dont know if i will be in this home forever, but their memories live in my heart and in photos, i must say i would probably dig up a bit of ground and any grave marker & bring that with me. :(

I've always frozen them then buried them in my yard. I put them in the freezer if say it's in the middle of the night or I just can't bury them at the moment.

All of our cats have died at the vets I believe so we've only frozen small animals. I don't think we could fit a cat in our freezer...

I always put grave markers, but they inevitably move or get destroyed over the years. And I try to make deep holes so no animals come and dig them up, thankfully that's never happened (that would be horrifying).

If they're close pets we bury them by the Oak tree in the field, if it's just cattle or deer etc. we put them by the river for the cyotes and wolves to eat. Circle of life.

I live in a condo, so I can't bury. I had Baby cremated, but did not opt to have the ashes returned. I have his whiskers, which the vet cut for me, but I now regret not having his ashes. I will when my next chinnie dies...

While I totally believe in cremation rather than burial for all things the truth is cremains creep me out. I wanted to keep some of my sisters ashes and have them put into a necklace, however i cannot bring myself to do it. I had Gordon buried in the woods behind the apartment--my friend Janine did it for me. I could not bring myself to have Sam cremated as I wasn't ready to let him go just yet. After holding him for about an hour or so I brought him to my sister's house and my brother in law buried him for me in the patch of pine trees they have on their property. I stop in front of it each time I am there and tell the wind and heaven how much I miss him and can't wait to see him again.

We live on 5 acres and are animals have always been buried in a special spot on the property. I keep them all close by.

I just hope Steven King's, Pet Cemetary, never happens here!!! lol

Good one Jenn! :laughitup:

I cremate and keep the ashes in Urns I buy. I want to keep them with me at all times. I dont like the idea of burial, because you cant for sure say you will always be there. Additionally here, it is illegal to bury them.

I only really had fish die, besides a hamster. The fish I either buried or waited until they were 100% for sure dead and flushed. I took the ham to the vet to be euthed and let them do the communal cremation. Not looking forward to the deaths of my 5 critters dying.

e: I LOATHE the idea of burial (humans too, I refuse to be buried) so when the time comes I will opt for cremation for them. I don't think I would want the ashes back, but maybe some fur or whiskers I can make into a little memorial. If I kept the ashes of every pet I'll ever have, I'd be overrun...

Last edited:
I LOATHE the idea of burial (humans too, I refuse to be buried) so when the time comes I will opt for cremation for them.

I feel the same way. My pets are cremated and I have the urns at my apartment. When it is my time to go I will be cremated. It's already been written into my will (my mother is against cremation).

All my past pets have been cremated. I have them with me until I find the home I settle into. Then I will bury them all together.

The farm animals when they pass are put into the woods for the other animals to eat. My dogs will be cremated when they pass. For right now (and some people won't like it) the chins go out with the trash, unless they are someone who is extremely special to me. I just can't bury each and every one that passes here, my yard would be filled with animals. When they are up the farm they'll most likely go on to feed the wild animals like the rest of farm critters.

I've cremated and kept the ashes of both of my chins that have passed. I don't know what we'll do when our dog passes as we cannot bury him where we live. I will leave that decision for my husband since he is the one that is most attached to our pug.

the farm animals get hauled off for wild animals to eat but my horse will be buried.....
the chins all get buried just like any of the other pets i had and will have, the dogs also get buried on the property

Back