how cool is too cool

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chins1222

hello

i am planning on moving the chins down to the basement where it is cooler for them(our ac broke and i dont know when they are going to fix it) and it never is as cool as i would like for them

i was planning on just leaving them down there all year round but i wasnt sure if it would be too cool for them in winter

i was just wondering how cold is too cold for them

and if the temps are a bit too cool can i use a space heater?(one of those little ones?)

i can move them back upstairs during the winter but i am going to have a hard enough time carrying it down 2 flights of stairs lol

so i figured it would be easier to keep them in the basement all year

i know alot of people keep them in the basement for coolness but i wasnt sure how cold it can stay

thanks

Mine live in our basement, and they were down there last winter. It wasn't too cold. They acclimate as the temps get colder, but it was never too cold down there, it was always in the 60s or so I would guess.
Ours is more of a finished basement, so maybe that makes a difference.
One thing you have to worry about is light and humidity.

yes i dont think it ever gets beow the 60's and i guess i forgot about a smaller cage i could use upstairs for a few days if it got too cold

i wouldleave a light on and there is a window that lets quite a bit of light in

i dont think we really have a humidity problem it is usually pretty dry in the rest of our house at least ill ask my dad

thanks for the help

ok awesome

i will just keep track of the temps and as long as it doesnt get below 55 or so i will keep them downstairs all year and just bring them up in a smaller cage on those extra cold days

unless a space heater is ok? they only raise temps a little and they have a large cage so they would easily be able to get away from it

thanks

I wouldn't worry about the space heater. A water bottle would start to freeze before it got too cold for them. (kits are a different story).

Back