How big should a cage be for 3 chinchillas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwinkleDust

Hi all

I currently have 3 chins the cage is 80cm by 80cm or 30inches by 30inches. Is this big enough? I have filled it with shelves, toys, houses and a wheel.

The minimum suggested size of 1-2 chin is about 91cm by 61cm by 61cm or 3ft by 2 ft by 2 ft, or roughly 12 cubic feet (339800 cubic cm) of space. So that might be ok, assuming you mean a cube 30x30x30 a bit cramped, so not much room to get away from each other. For three I'd suggest something more the size of a double Ferret Nation, 4ft x 2ft x 3ft (122cm x 61cm x 91cm). Height is more important then length or width, chins hop up and down more then along the floor.

Thanks for your reply I have just ordered the Blenheim tall Rat cage it's 140cm tall by 79cm by 52cm I think. So much bigger but fits into the space I have.

One level of a Ferret Nation is fine for 3-4 chins, assuming they get along and you provide a lot of ledges and tubes/wood boxes for each of them to call their own. I would not recommend tubes on top of tubes as they tend to fight over the top ones, so space them out or mix in some wood boxes.

Back