Hot dogs

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leah

So my boyfriend and I recently acquired about 100 hot dogs in the freezer from a fundraiser that we tried to do at our college, but it didn't really turn out that well.. Anyway, so we're stuck with tons of hot dogs and buns! Does anyone have any creative ideas (we've eaten them every regular way we can think of- boiled, grilled, microwaved, george foreman grill)? I think tonight we are going to try a hot dog and noodle casserole from foodnetwork.com. Any ideas?

cut into medallions, brown on cut sides, add whisked eggs and cook till eggs are done. yum.

Kraft mac-n-cheese with dogs.
Wal-mart sells a little can of chili dog sauce that's good. It's by the chili section.
Dog treats

OH...I almost forgot croissant dogs :) Get pilsbury cresent rolls, cut a slit lengthwise in the hot dog, take a cheese slice and cut it into section, put 2 piecs in the hot dog then wrap the crescent roll around it...bake and YUMMY they're a big hit in our house :)

OH...I almost forgot croissant dogs :) Get pilsbury cresent rolls, cut a slit lengthwise in the hot dog, take a cheese slice and cut it into section, put 2 piecs in the hot dog then wrap the crescent roll around it...bake and YUMMY they're a big hit in our house :)

That was my suggestion!! We love them!! You could also buy a box of corn muffin mix and make corn dogs--Or corn dog casserole---My kids love it!

Yup, crescent roll dogs (pigs in a blanket) are a HUGE hit here too, lol! I also like them with mac and cheese (guess I'm still a kid at heart, rofl).

Cut into bite sized chunks and cook in spaghetti sauce. Serve over pasta for home made spaghetti-os with franks (and fewer preservatives and all that).

Hot dogs also make good training treats for dogs, so if you really just can't stand to eat those last dozen, you could probably donate them to an animal shelter that does Canine Good Citizen training. :)

Hmmmm corn dog casserole, huh? is it some secret recipe or do you just make cornbread and throw the hot dogs in? My kids would LOVE that!

That was my suggestion!! We love them!! You could also buy a box of corn muffin mix and make corn dogs--Or corn dog casserole---My kids love it!

Yep you just make the corn bread and put the dogs in!! I sometimes mix in a can of corn---super easy kid friendly food!

I used to cut a slit,stuff with cheddar cheese mixed with BBQ sauce then wrap in bacon and secure the bacon with some toothpicks and bake till the bacons done.
I can't remember what degree or how long though.

wow, I generally dislike hot dogs, especially boiled! ICK!!
I enjoy a good Chilli dog now and again... but some of these are good ideas, i might have to go buy hot dogs...

Put them in tomato soup and add potatoes to make it "thicker".

Fry them up with some potatoes.

Put a slit in them, put cheese in the slit, and cover them with croissant dough and bake.

Slice the hot dogs length wise and line the bottom of pan. Then put a layer of mashed potatoes and sprinkle cheese on top. Bake at 350 for 20 mins till the cheese is melted.

:yuck: I have to agree with HM on this one, lol. However I did see an episode of Rachel Ray that she made everything with hot dogs, so I looked up the recipes for you!

Chicago Dog Salad
Ingredients
1/4 cup yellow mustard
2 tablespoons vinegar, eyeball it
1 rounded teaspoon sugar
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 of a 16-ounce sack shredded cabbage blend for slaw salads
1 romaine heart, shredded
2 vine ripe tomatoes, diced
3 large half sour or garlic pickles, chopped
Salt and pepper
8 pork or beef hot dogs, cut into 1-inch-thick slices on an angle
Directions
In the bottom of a large bowl, combine mustard, vinegar, sugar, and about 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add the onions, cabbage, romaine, tomatoes, and pickles and toss the salad. Season with salt and pepper, adjust seasonings, and reserve.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add in remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (1 turn of the pan) then arrange the sliced dogs in a single layer. Sear them a couple of minutes on each side. Remove to paper towels to drain.

Mound up the salad on plates, top with seared dogs, and serve.

Hot Dog Pizza Dillas
4 beef or pork hot dogs
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), 1 turn of the pan, plus extra for drizzling
Four 10- to 12-inch flour tortillas
1/4 cup mild chunky salsa (4 big spoonfuls)
8 squirts of ketchup (about 1/4 cup)
1 cup shredded mozzarella or provolone cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1. Using a small knife, cut the hot dogs in half lengthwise, then into 1/2-inch pieces. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Have a GH (Grown-Up Helper) handle the hot pans if you're still playin' T-ball and aren't tall enough to clear the stovetop. Add the EVOO, 1 turn of the pan. Add the dogs and cook until browned all over, 2 to 4 minutes. Drain the crispy dog slices on paper towel–lined plates and pour off the excess fat. The sliced hot dogs are your "pepperoni."
2. Add a drizzle more of olive oil to the pan, then add 1 tortilla. Cook for 1 minute, then flip it over with tongs and turn the heat to low. Place a big spoonful of the salsa on half of the tortilla, then spread it around with the back of the spoon. Add 2 squirts of ketchup and mix it into the salsa. This is your "pizza sauce." Top the sauce with one-fourth of the cheese—a big handful of each kind. Top the cheese with one-fourth of the crispy hot dog pieces. Let a GH help you fold over the tortilla to form a half-moon shape. Press down on the folded tortilla with a spatula to flatten the pizza-dilla and make it stick together.
3. Cook the pizza-dilla, flipping it carefully once more with a spatula, for 1 minute per side. Slide the pizza-dilla onto a plate and let it cool for 2 minutes, then cut into 4 wedges, like a pizza, and serve. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Eat plain or top with more ketchup, salsa or even mustard and relish—whatever you like on hot dogs works here!

wow... that's a lot of hot dogs. I generally only really like the hot dogs you buy at games and events. But I also like them in mac n cheese.

Leah, you can chop them up in a food processor add mayo onion and sweet pickle relish and make mock "ham" salad.

Or you can do this--slice then length wise not all the way through. Open them like a book. Make some mashed potatoes instant or real whatever you prefer--load the mashed potatoes on the hot dog, top with cheese and broil on the oven til cheese is melted. This was one of my ex-husband's favorite meals!

We also did sweet-n-sour hot dogs--this time slice the hot dogs short wise every 2-3 inches then I would take pineapple juice, water and ketchup and make a sweet-n-sour sauce--add sugar if necessary, add the pineapples and some sliced onion and bell pepper and then add the hotdogs. They curl like wheel and look kind of cool.

I guess my ex-husband was a hot dog lover!!!

You can always buy some hormel chili or make your own cincinnatti style chili (chili with cinnamon in it) and put it over the hotdogs for chili dogs--top with cheese and onions and it's pretty dang good!

Latest posts

Back