Hope This Doesn't Sound Crazy....(URI)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewdrop

I know how dangerous a URI can be for Chins, which is why I'm concerned. I feel like I should know this, but oh well.

The chins are FINE, I however am sick as a dog.....suspecting bronchitis but won't know until I get to the doc this afternoon. Definitely respiratory.

Are the chins at ANY risk? it's not like I'm coughing in their face or anything. Since this came around actual contact with them has been minimal feeding/cleaning. (their super grumpy now poor little guys)...

Honestly I doubt you can give them your cold since you can't catch a cold from you dog or cat or other pet. I think it's more of a threat from the same species. Most illnesses seem to stay between members of the same species. You don't get canine influenza and they don't get your flu bug so as long as you're not all over them coughing up a lung I don't think they'll get anything. But as a precaution just wash your hands frequently when handling them or their belongings and cover your mouth when you cough. Hope you feel better.

It's always safer to be err on the side of caution. Perhaps using a face mask and stringent hand washing would be a good idea.

Also, if you live with someone else, maybe enlist their help for the time being.

Chins can get URIs from humans, do the min and wash those hands until a few days after you are well. We had a member awhile back who was a breeder and was sick, she lost a few Moms and Kits due to her illness from URIs. It is totally better safe than sorry.

Ew, Ok that's what I was afraid of. Glad I asked now.

I had to twist the PA's arm to get her to even give me anything (pregnant). But she finally agreed to some amoxicillin, I couldn't get her to understand I've had it morph to pneumonia in the past very fast so I don't like tip toeing around with bronchitis.....oh well. Hopefully right as rain in a few days. :)

When I had a cold once, mainly effected my throat, and I had just had my first litter of kits ever. So just to be careful I put on a face mask and pretty much washed my hands until they cracked and dryed out, but my chinies are doing great! The kits are doing great (almost 6 weeks now)! So it is just better to be safe then sorry!

Back