Homemade wheels

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LGarl

Hi,
I was thinking about making a wheel for my chin using a 16" galvanized feed pan and a lazy susan bearing (not the entire lazy susan). Has anyone had experience doing this? Any advice?

Last edited:
The only advice I can give is that those wheels are extremely noisy! It might work for a while but if your need isn't urgent, I would just save my money and invest it in a quiet chinspin or flying saucer. These wheels last forever and only require replacement bearings once in a rare moment

I made a DIY wheel but I honestly wouldn't really recommend it - I used sealed bearings so mine is mostly quiet, but it's not super stable (still trying to figure out how to reinforce the base of the pan I used as the wheel) and it really wasn't cheaper than buying one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmbAApN0o6M

sub out the bowl for the feed pan - stellar results. The skate bearings are closed/shielded from dust, and a couple drops of oil keeps them smooth and silent for years now. Only noise is from their little feet pattering on it!

Yeppers, As a retired 20-year skater I can honestly say that skateboard bearings are the bomb. There are a lot of different bearing brands on the market today but my 2 favorites are Bones Brigade Swiss bearings and three piece German bearings. :laugh2:

Last edited:
Back