Homebuilt Cage Round 2

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moolelo

I had posted quite awhile back the pictures of my homemade cage.
Since that time the chin boys have grown and are demanding more space.
So better accommodations were arranged and once again DIY was chosen. Total bill for 3' x 2' x 6' cage came to $95, with 3hrs just tonight for assembly. Decided to go from bars all around, to a melamine back panel (its a behemoth)
Boys can be bar biters sometimes, need to better distract them still.
Any ideas for toys? Thinking of ordering from some of the sellers on here.

Attachments

• WP_20121202_001.jpg
    WP_20121202_001.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 283
  • WP_20121202_004.jpg
    WP_20121202_004.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 205
  • WP_20121202_005.jpg
    WP_20121202_005.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 176
  • WP_20121202_006.jpg
    WP_20121202_006.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 159
  • WP_20121202_007.jpg
    WP_20121202_007.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 165
Wow! That cage is incredible! You have some very spoiled boys :) Some hanging toys in the cage might keep them from chewing on the bars as much and some of the vendors on here make and sell some wonderful chews and toys.

I love your cage! I used the same "closet shelving" stuff for my playpen that I use in the living room! It's really convenient because I used three sections for the front and can remove all three of them seperately if I want. You did a great job! There are many vendors here that offer great toys, just take a look in the "chin supplies for sale" section!

Looks nice and big. Only thing you might find you wished you'd done differently over time is the middle shaving area - the side supports will probably get peed on and being wood will absorb urine - metal pan here probably would have fixed this. Also you might want to make the guards around it higher to keep shavings in the cage. Lastly, it's probably going to get kicked out all over the fleece so that will be something to consider if you don't want to constantly pick it off :)

Yeah the litter box has been a constant source of mess and hopefully could be a metal tray someday. For now I keep the wood from getting too much urine with an interior liner under the shavings and cleaning it with vinegar whenever I change shavings.
Pikachu lives in that half and even in his old cage was quite the gentleman about using it, but I am just waiting for the day to return when he just decides to pee all over edge or bars.
Thanks everyone for tips about toys, I'm searching now for things in the vendors section. They never really took to hanging toys before, but maybe some more interesting ones from here will do it.

Wow! I am sure your chins are LOVING their new house!! You did a great job!

Back