Home made cage ?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickv0195

Nick
Before i put this in the wanted supplies section I was just wondering if someone would build a home made cage and sell it to me or if someone has one that they can sell ? I'm looking for one just like someone asked in the thread 'home made cages' . I would like it closed in other then the front so that it doesn't make such a mess, lots of wooden shelves, pretty tall, and enough space for 3 chinchillas. If anyone would be willing to do this that would be great and i was wondering what the price range would be around ?

im sure shipping would be outragous!!! a home made cage would probably very difficult and fragile to ship. youd have to find someone local im sure.

My father and I built my chins cage out of wire cloth and wood-I thought it'd be less expensive, but ended up being about the same to buy a good one, like one of the Ferret Nations. I LOVE my chins cage, don't get me wrong, but because we went so big, it was costly. I loved building one, though. But to ship the cage we built, it'd be the same to ship a refrigerator, just a lighter weight, but the size is about the same, lol! And it doesn't fold. It's permanantly huge and my chin LOVES it. If I were you, I'd go online and check out cage building plans. This website is fantastic and was my only guide: www.petchinchillas.info -great website and she's on here, too! It will either help you buy a good cage, change a not so great cage into a great one, or build one yourself. And it really isn't hard to build one-Home Depot will cut the wood for you. Just make sure you have a plan first, which the website I gave you already has if you like one of there's.

Good luck:)

Okay thank you so much , this really helped, i was thinking about building one but I didn't know how thank you so much.

My father and I built my chins cage out of wire cloth and wood-I thought it'd be less expensive, but ended up being about the same to buy a good one, like one of the Ferret Nations. I LOVE my chins cage, don't get me wrong, but because we went so big, it was costly. I loved building one, though. But to ship the cage we built, it'd be the same to ship a refrigerator, just a lighter weight, but the size is about the same, lol! And it doesn't fold. It's permanantly huge and my chin LOVES it. If I were you, I'd go online and check out cage building plans. This website is fantastic and was my only guide: www.petchinchillas.info -great website and she's on here, too! It will either help you buy a good cage, change a not so great cage into a great one, or build one yourself. And it really isn't hard to build one-Home Depot will cut the wood for you. Just make sure you have a plan first, which the website I gave you already has if you like one of there's.

Good luck:)

If you want to build an enclosed cage (I love them myself) you want to avoid the melamine covered particle board. HEAVY stuff, hard to work with.

Instead, I build a wood frame and line it with the melamine panels (1/8" thick).
You might have to look for them, but they should have them at Lowes or HD.

http://www.decpanels.com/smooth.html#

This makes for a very light, enclosed cage. I've experimented with everything, and I've found this the best solution.

I hope to get plans for building a cage online this month after I finish my house!

I used melamine panels for my homemade cage, and although the cleanup was a dream, especially with three sides being enclosed, the WEIGHT of the cage was a total nightmare, it was over 200lbs.

Here's a couple of pics if you want to check it out:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j151/mistywaterwoman/examples/IMGP5033.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j151/mistywaterwoman/examples/IMGP5034.jpg

It'd be ideal if you could build it out of something more lightweight! Eventually I donated it to my local rescue and got a couple of Ferret Nations instead...

And Kristin, once again, thanks for endorsing my site.
:)

There are different types of panels - the thick particle board ones (HEAVY) - these are structural.

Then there are the 1/8 inch ones that are also melamine covered - typically used in shower installations - that are very light and need some structural support.

IMHO no one should be using that heavy pressboard stuff anymore.

Back