Holding my chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilethechin23

My chin seems to be very skittish on being picked up by me. My girlfriend can get her to sit in her hand and move her to the cage but my chin is so skittish when it comes to my hand. I have had 2 instances where I've had to grab her against her will (one time she jumped in a plate full of ranch that had been left out lol) and I think she holds a grudge against me because of it...she will still let me rub her and give her scratches but she will bolt the second you make any sudden movement or if you try to actually pick her up... Do chins hold grudges? lol

Edit: we have had her for about 10 months

Not sure about the grude, sometimes I think they do. I have 2 chins that I can hold all day and they enjoy it. I have one chin that lost a toe and had vet visits, had to wear an E-collar, and I had to give him meds (by force)...this little guy still doesnt like me to pick him up or hold him, he even nips at me when I hold him. They all share the the same life except for his drama.

Ya she never bites me or even attempts to bite. Well it happened once but it was more a nip and it was because she was excited about the treat I had for her. But yah usually my girlfriend will entice her into her hand with a treat then just kinda rotate and put her in the cage. Not really holding the chin more the chin just sitting on her hand. But when I try to do it she seems skeptical. Always try's to grab the treat but avoiding having to jump onto my hand... I've always kind of had to be the bad guy in the times where it needed be done. She just seems to trust my girlfriends hands more than mine and just wondering if that will pass with time or not

My chin Yazy hates anyone that isn't me she will bark and kack at them and sometimes bite if they get too close to the cage.. She also seems to really hate men... she won't let my husband or either of my teenage boys have anything to do with her... Sometime she will let my daughter scratch her but most of the time no...

My chin Yazy hates anyone that isn't me she will bark and kack at them and sometimes bite if they get too close to the cage.. She also seems to really hate men... she won't let my husband or either of my teenage boys have anything to do with her... Sometime she will let my daughter scratch her but most of the time no...

Yah she will totally let me give her scratches and rub her all over but she won't sit in my hand. I'm not attempting to grab her just have her sit on my hand so I can move her back to her cage easily. Right now I just use her bath house with no dust in it. She goes crazy the second she sees it. She makes it her mission to make it to the bath house during play time. We keep it on top of the cage and she will jump on us while we are cleaning her cage out and attempt to jump to the top of the cage over and over lol

Last edited:
The other thing my chin does is the instant I open her cage door she bolts out of it. Do they all do that or should coming out of the cage be a more mellow thing?

Depending on what your chin experiences throughout the day, she might just need to take time to get use to people moving about her. My first chin took about 8-10 months to get use to me and this was with controlled playtime every night in a small room and some treats. Also talking to him as I approached and approaching slowly (kind of like a horse). The next two settled in within a month, so I guess depends on personality.
Try only moving slowly around her and talk calmly with no sudden movements or loud noises. If the cage is blocked on all sides but the front she will feel safer, otherwise try to put a sheet or something to block the other three sides.

All my chins hate being picked up. Something that has worked for me to hold mine is I hold them on my chest and then I put one arm across my stomach so that their tail is under my arm. I don't put pressure on it so if they wanted to run they could but none ever do. I don't know why this works.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Maybe you just need to be patient with her. I have some that I can hold for awhile. Even when I groom they will sit on my lap to be combed out without holding their tails.

I don't hold her tail i just lay my arm over her tail. She could run and play if she wants to. My chins are 8 years old. I have been very patient with them. They are just wanting to go play not be held.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

I have some odd balls. Three of my four boys love literally anyone. They will come to them, like being held, all of the above. My Gus Gus, however, wants nothing to do with anyone but me. He'll sit in my lap and be pet for endless amounts of time. If anyone, including my partner, tries to hold him...he takes off. He's definitely a daddy's boy. Some chins just are very particular about who they trust.

Back